Acid Rain falls in unshielded areas of the Homeworld and kills Samus almost immediately if she is exposed to it without the Hazard Shield. It can also lull Samus into a false sense of security because it seems to affect Samus's energy very slowly. This, however, is not true because it takes Samus's energy at a faster rate as her energy meter falls. Eventually, the damage builds up to a massive rate where even with full energy tanks, her health is drained in seconds. This slow-to-fast-paced energy draining is similar to the effect of Phazon.
There are some areas where small hangovers let personnel pass through the Acid Rain by providing cover, like in the Command Courtyard.
Acid rain is prevalent on the Pirate Homeworld, where the constant pollution has ruined the environment. The caustic effects of the rain are incredibly volatile and will severely damage your suit. Exposure to the rain for any extended period of time will prove fatal. Avoid all contact with the rain.
- Drain (Courtyard Passage, original NTSC vers.)
- "Drain releases acid rain into a piping network in the floor to be pumped out of the facility."
- Acid Rain also appears on Zebes (specifically, Crateria) in all appearances after Metroid. However, it seems to be less potent as the physical adaptations Samus has gone through allow her to pass safely. In the manga, Samus states that they will have to take a detour through Brinstar to get to Tourian, but in Zero Mission the Acid Rain is triggered by the destruction of Tourian, which must have polluted the Zebesian atmosphere.
- A more reasonable explanation for the acid rains lack of corrosiveness is due to the fact that the acid in the rainwater is too dilute to have direct adverse effects.
- In Metroid: Zero Mission, the Varia Suit provides sufficient protection against Acid, yet it fails to do so in Corruption. This may be due to the suit's alterations at the beginning of the game. It may also be that the type of acid in the rain is different, or has a differing level of acidity and that the acid rain on the Pirate Homeworld is so corrosive that the Varia Suit is unable to handle it. This is similar to how the Gravity Suit in Metroid Prime does not protect against the magma/lava in Magmoor Caverns.
- Oddly enough, unarmored Space Pirates, Gandrayda, and the Demolition Troopers do not take damage from the rain. Even stranger is that Samus must acquire the Hazard Shield to withstand the substance, but they do not. On Gandrayda, this may be a result of her resilient transformations or her Hypermode. Space Pirates have a hard, protective exoskeleton, or their species may be immune to acid rain.
- When Samus explores Courtyard Passage, she will come across numerous drains. If she scans them, it will state that it is releasing acid rain into a piping network in the floor to be pumped out of the facility. The Hazard Shield will not trigger if Samus stands under them.
- Oddly, in the PAL version of the game, the substance is said to be sewage.
|Hazardous||Acid (Beta) • Acid Rain • Afloraltite • Dark Water • Fire • Fuel Gel • Lava • Phazon • Purple liquid|
|Gases||Dark vapor • Industrial-grade pesticide • Meta-viprium gas • Nohadin gas • Noxious gasses • Poison gas • Talvania Gas|
|Destructible|| Bendezium • Brinstone • Cordite • Denzium • Frigidite • Glass • Grobnite • Ice • Maldium • Meltable Metal • Metroid webs • Radion • Sandstone • Talloric Alloy • Vegetation • Zebetite |
Kelbium and Zafrite
|Phazon||Red • Crystal • Black Crystal • Mass • Ore • Elite Nutrient Mix • Strain Vertigo • Phazite (Red) • Concentrated|
|Crystals||Ammolite/Witherite Shards • Black Phazon • Crystallized Fuel Gel • Crystals • Dark Sentinel • Lift • Liftvine • Light • Phazon • Red magma • Sentinel|
|Ore||Urthic • Phazon|
|Miscellaneous||Invisible platform • Jovian steel • Liquid Resource • Sand • Vaccine "Metroid" • Waste • Water|