|“||Lastly, I'll talk about the new abilities we've given to Samus called Aeion abilities. Using a special energy called Aeion, Samus can temporarily power up with several abilities. For example, you can power up your attacks and hold down the fire button to unleash a machine gun barrage of shots. You can boost your sensors to unveil your surroundings and detect hidden paths. You can even surround yourself with lightning that negates damage and deflects enemies. That's just the beginning. These Aeion abilities give you special powers that haven't been seen until now. They should give you more ways to play that really add to an orthodox 2D Metroid game. It really feels like we challenged ourselves to do what hadn't been done before. And honestly, I feel it's a great success. We've really expanded on the breadth of things possible in a Metroid game.||„|
Aeion (pronounced ay-on) is a "very mystical and powerful energy source" introduced in Metroid: Samus Returns. As a complement to her upgrades, Aeion gives Samus various extra Aeion abilities. The Scan Pulse is one such ability, which allows Samus to see hidden blocks, and expands the visible Map on the 3DS's lower screen.
To collect Aeion abilities, Samus must visit Aeion Ability Artifacts. To replenish Aeion, Samus can collect Aeion Orbs dropped by enemies after they are killed or staggered. She can also fully replenish Aeion by finding Big Aeion Orbs that are sometimes found in Aeion Ability Artifacts or Chozo Statues.
The capacity of Samus's Aeion Gauge is increased by collecting Aeion Tanks. Aeion Abilities are activated by pressing A, and deactivated by pressing A again. Holding A for 3 seconds deactivates all Aeion Abilties at once. Selection of Aeion Abilities is done with the Control Pad. Multiple Aeion abilities can be used at once, although it obviously means a larger consumption of Aeion.
The amount of remaining Aeion is represented by a number (X/X) on the Samus Screen. Upon acquiring the first Aeion ability, Samus is given a default capacity of 1000 Aeion. Obtaining each subsequent Aeion ability increases this amount by 150. Additionally, each Aeion Tank increases her capacity by 50, so the maximum possible capacity for Aeion is 2200 (discounting the Aeion Reserve Tank, which refills her Aeion Gauge to 500 if depleted).
Origin and implicationsEdit
The origin of Aeion is stated to be a powerful energy created by planet SR388 itself. This energy seems to have been absorbed into the planet's life forms, as observed by its release upon every creature's death and its emphasis in the second Chozo Memory. The third and seventh memories depict Chozo mining operations with heavy focus on yellow light being emitted from dig sites.
Interestingly, the eighth Chozo Memory shows the same yellow light which emanate from cracks on the ground shining brightly upon the Metroids as they molt out of their larval phase. Aeion may thus be the factor that triggered the species to metamorphose into uncontrollable forms, leading to the collapse of the Chozo civilization on SR388.
Strangely, Aeion is also present in all of the planet's robots and Proteus Ridley, the latter of whom is an off-world entity. While the robots' Aeion may be the result of the Chozo energizing their machines with the collected energy, Proteus Ridley acquired his via unknown means.
Metroid: Samus Returns ManualEdit
As you progress in the game, you will be able to use up Aeion energy stored in your Aeion gauge (p. 7) and perform special abilities.
- You can activate multiple abilities at once.
- Aeion Ability
- "The currently selected ability is designated by a white frame. Abilities will light up when in use."
- Aeion Abilities Screen
- "Check current Aeion abilities and their effects.
- Press [R] to switch back to the map menu screen."
"Aeion fuels special abilities, like the Scan Pulse. Refill your gauge with the Aeion Orbs foes may drop when you either beat them or successfully parry."
- "Upgrading suit for Aeion compatibility..."
List of Aeion AbilitiesEdit
- Scan Pulse - Expands the map and scans the environment.
- Lightning Armor - Prevents physical damage and increases range of Melee Counters.
- Beam Burst - Enhances the currently equipped beam's attack power and enables rapid-fire shots.
- Phase Drift - Slows down time.
- Aeion's possible origins as an energy created by SR388 and how the planet fills its inhabitants with its energy, is akin to Earth's natural background radiation.
- Proteus Ridley may have obtained Aeion energy by devouring life forms found on the planet, as Ridley is known to regenerate and strengthen himself by consuming flesh.
- A version of the Get Artifact Jingle from Metroid Prime plays when Samus acquires an Aeion ability.
- ^ Metroid: Samus Returns - Developer Diary (Nintendo 3DS) (YouTube). Nintendo UK (June 14, 2017). Retrieved on July 14, 2018.
- ^ Metroid: Samus Returns - Overview Trailer 
- ^ SR388 Data File 
- ^ "Additionally, the planet has been found to emit a mystical and powerful resource: Aeion energy." SR388 Data File