The Alimbics were a race of beings in the game Metroid Prime Hunters. They fulfill much the same role in this game as the Luminoth do in Metroid Prime 2: Echoes, the Bryyonians in Metroid Prime 3: Corruption and the Chozo in most other games in the series. Most of the information on the Alimbics is gleaned from lore scans in Metroid Prime Hunters, as the species no longer exists in physical form.
The Alimbic species had a unique exoskeleton that enabled them to survive the harsh environments of the planets Alinos and Arcterra, as well as enlarged forebrains that have helped them avoid situations that could have led to the destruction of their race and granted them potent psionic abilities. Alimbics appear to have two armlike appendages, and possibly three legs (as does the Alimbic-mimicking Gorea). The race exhibited a floating head with a single eye, but no visible mouth, similar to the Kriken. This would indicate that the Alimbics used their psionic abilities to communicate telepathically, even before they were reduced to telepathic entities.
The Alimbic had lived in the Alimbic Cluster of the Tetra Galaxy for a considerable length of time, probably having originated there; all that is known about their early years is that they underwent a "harsh genesis". They were a peaceful race, but that behavior changed when they were attacked by an unspecified enemy- the attack caught them off-guard, and the Alimbic leadership swore they would never allow such a tragedy to happen again: they rapidly advanced their species' weapons technology, focusing specifically on Bioweapons and creating powerful weapons such as the Slench and Cretaphid.
Enjoying a newly-earned peace, the Alimbics remained ready for future invasions and improved their already powerful minds, making phenomenal advances in fields such as telepathy, telekinesis, and extradimensional exploration. "The peace of ancient ALIMBIC tribal culture was shattered by a deadly extraterrestrial invasion. The survivors vowed never again to be caught unprepared." -History 03 lore entry
"We focused our resources on military science and quickly developed weapons and defenses that surpassed the technology of our enemies." -History 04 lore entry
"For generations our superior military capability deterred all enemies. A renewed sense of peace allowed us to return to our natural philosophical pursuits." -History 09 lore entry
"Through science and technology we increased our already formidable mental skills. Significant advances were made in the areas of TELEPATHY, TELEKINESIS, and EXTRADIMENSIONAL EXPLORATION." -History 10 lore entry
"We continued research to improve our defense systems. Eventually we became so proficient in the art of war that we believed ourselves invincible." -Alimbic Pride 01 lore entry
"Our pride was a veil over our eyes. We did not see the danger until it was upon us." -Alimbic Pride 02 lore entry
The Alimbic people were one of the most technologically advanced races in the universe, frequently employing long-distance spaceflight, teleportation, interdimensional travel, sophisticated nanotechnology, and other assorted accomplishments. Alimbic technology appears largely mechanical, although the species was highly skilled in biological and cybernetic engineering. The Alimbics focused a great deal of resources on military technology, and developed a number of sophisticated weapons systems.
The Alimbics were both a war-like and a peaceful civilization, depending on the violence of the universe around them. When there was violence, the Alimbics would build up their war technology until it surpassed their enemies. In peace, the Alimbics would enhance their mental talents and became highly prosperous.
Their society revered knowledge and science in all its forms, constructing the massive Celestial Archives over their capitol to hold the sum total of their records. However, their culture also suffered from a considerable amount of hubris, to the point of considering themselves invincible.
"Each of these ornate crests celebrates the accomplishments of a major ALIMBIC tribe." -Alimbic Crest object scan
"This emblem commemorates fallen ALIMBIC heroes." -Alimbic Emblem object scan
"A large ceremonial emblem of the ALIMBIC ORDER, celebrating their victories and leadership. Solar-cycle counter dates its creation after ALINOS first came under attack." -Alimbic Insignia object scan
"Alpha waves emanate from this architectural structure. It appears designed to calm the senses and to create an environment ideal for meditation." -Alimbic Panel object scan
"ALIMBIC ornaments designed to enhance harmony." -Ceremonial Charms object scan
Gorea came to the Alimbic Cluster from an unknown location, landing on Alinos and emerging in the form of a gas. However, it soon took on a physical form, one mimicking that of the Alimbics themselves. The Alimbics' weapons were useless against it, and eventually, Gorea took the weapons into its form and used them against their creators. It drained the life energy from its victims, leaving them as empty husks, while growing more powerful itself. The Alimbic knew that unless they stopped Gorea there, it would continue on to devour all sentient life in the galaxy.
To stop what they called "the cancer," eight Alimbic elders came together in the Alimbic Order, and created the Seal Sphere. The Alimbic people used the process of essence transference to put their telepathic essences in the Seal Sphere. This enabled them to trap Gorea in the Seal Sphere, which was then placed aboard the Oubliette, and sent to a formless dimension of antimatter called the Infinity Void by way of the Alimbic Cannon. The elders of the Alimbic Order then transferred their essences into the eight Octoliths, which were sent to the Stronghold Void and guarded over by the Slenches and Cretaphids.
Alimbic Order of EldersEdit
Formed by the Alimbic general and war hero Almiiak, this group of eight elders was created to stop Gorea from destroying the entirety of the Alimbic civilization. Their final and most significant plan involved the security and mechanics revolving around the Seal Sphere. They decided to trap Gorea in the Seal Sphere, as no weapon could defeat the creature. The elders designed the Octolith keys that not only provide power to the Alimbic Cannon, but also contain a spirit of an elder. The elders placed two of the eight Octoliths in each of their four most defended territories. Each Octolith is guarded by either a Cretaphid or Slench, as well as a large arsenal of the Alimbics' other biomechanical creatures such as Psycho Bits, Voldrums and Guardians.
"There were EIGHT ELDERS in the ALIMBIC ORDER." -Alimbic Order 01 lore entry
"You will not find all EIGHT of the OCTOLITHS. They have been scattered, hidden in FOUR of our most heavily defended territories." -Alimbic Order 02 lore entry
"There are never more than TWO OCTOLITHS hidden on any planet or space station." -Alimbic Order 03 lore entry
"Within each OCTOLITH is a spirit, the transferred ESSENCE of an ALIMBIC ELDER." -Alimbic Order 04 lore entry
"Reunite all EIGHT OCTOLITHS in the CANNON CONTROL ROOM to open the doorway to GOREA." -Alimbic Order 05 lore entry
Important Alimbic CharactersEdit
General Almiiak-- A fierce Alimbic general who founded the Alimbic Order of Elders and lead the Alimbic people to victory in the Tetra Border Wars two thousand years ago. It is suggested that his essence may be one of the ones that were transferred within the Octolith keys.
Arctherus-- Like Almiiak, Arctherus is also buried in a tomb at the High Ground area of the planet Alinos. He has received credit as the Alimbic who discovered neurogenesis which lead the Alimbics into a modern era, a time where peace and prosperity came to the race.
The name Alimbic may have been derived from the English word alembic, meaning anything that refines or purifies, usually by means of heating or a chemical process.
The name may also refer to the limbic system, a region of the brain responsible for processing and generating emotional responses. Combining the term with the prefix a-, which expresses absence or negation, would imply that the Alimbic species lacked a powerful limbic system and were thus rather unemotional and dispassionate.
- The Alimbic language found on glyph patterns and wall scrolls on Alinos, looks similar to the written language of the Chozo.
- The Krikens share the same bizarre physical structure as the Alimbics, suggesting that the similarity is a result of divergent evolution.
- The Alimbic Octolith system is similar to the Chozo Artifact system used to seal the Impact Crater in Metroid Prime, the Temple Key system used in Dark Aether during Metroid Prime 2: Echoes and the Energy Cell system used to power the G.F.S. Valhalla in Metroid Prime 3: Corruption.
- The Alimbic people are the creators of the Quadtroid, an organism with similar abilities to the Chozo's Metroid.
- The Alimbics have likely served as an active trading race in the Tetra Galaxy as several Tetra Trade Maps are found within the Celestial Archives.
- The Alimbics may have been the creators of the sub-weapons Samus obtains prior to venturing off to the Oubliette, as several Alimbic mechanisms use the different sub-weapon technology throughout the Alimbic Cluster such as the various Psycho Bit and Alimbic Turret versions.
- The Alimbics have been involved in two major conflicts: the Tetra Border Wars and the Alimbic War.
- In several locations on Arcterra, there are structures hanging from ceilings that resemble the head of an Alimbic. Similarly, the Chozo also made structures that resembled their body in various regions of worlds they had inhabited.
- There are various tunnels in the Alimbic territories that link areas together, this possibly suggests that the Alimbics had some type of compacted alternative form that they were able to morph into similar to Samus's Morph Ball to get from place to place. They also may have been access tunnels for robots like Voldrums.
- The Universal Ammunition may have been created by the Alimbic people, as the form of ammo has only appeared in the Alimbic Cluster.
- Although Samus has her Missile Launcher, she has no missiles when she arrives to the Alimbic Cluster. At the Celestial Archives, Samus defeats a Petrasyl and acquires Missile Ammo. However, these missiles are much different from those she gains in other games. This may suggest that the Alimbics created their own missile weapon, that is capable of being charged.
- The Alimbics use Power Beam technology in their Guardian sentinels. This may suggest that they once traded with the Chozo.
- The Alimbics may have been involved with races such as the Enoema, Kriken, Space Pirates, Vhozon, Diamonts, Chozo and possibly the Galactic Federation as all the races share a weapon common to ones used in the Alimbic Cluster's technology.
|Sentient Species in the Metroid Series|
|Human | Space Pirate | Kriken | Luminoth|
|Bryyonians | Diamont | Elysian | Ing|
|Alimbic | Chozo | N'kren | Phrygisian | Vhozon | Ylla | Jovian|
|USR 1 | USR 2 | USR 5 | USR 6|
|Species||Alimbic • Boost Guardian • Chozo (Ghost) • Dark Pirate Commando • Darkling • Darkling Tentacle • Gorea • Ing (Hunter, Emperor, Warrior) • Ingsphere Cache • Kralee • Leviathan • Luminoth • Phantoon • Warp Hound • Phazon Metroid|
|Gateways||Alimbic Cannon • Artifact Temple • Portal • Stronghold Portal • Wormhole|
|Alternate Dimensions||Dark Aether • Infinity Void • The Locker • Oubliette • Stronghold Void|
|Other||Black fog • Dark Visor • Darkburst|