Brinstar (ブリンスタ Burinsuta) was an underground complex of caverns and jungles on Zebes. Home to many creatures, Brinstar is used as a Space Pirate base, and is relatively easy to navigate. The area appeared in Metroid, Zero Mission, and Super Metroid.
In Metroid and Zero Mission, the area was covered in blue and orange rock; while Super Metroid retained some rooms from this part of the area, it expanded Brinstar to also include green jungle sections as well as red-soiled swamp areas and some kind of pink material. Kraid's Lair is a sub-section of Brinstar.
- Beetom (Super Metroid only)
- Bomb Parasite (Metroid: Zero Mission only)
- Boyon (Super Metroid only)
- Cacatac (Super Metroid only)
- Dachora (Super Metroid only, non-hostile)
- Dessgeega (Metroid: Zero Mission only)
- Etecoon (Super Metroid only, non-hostile)
- Eye (Super Metroid only, non-hostile)
- Ki-Hunter (Super Metroid only)
- Metaree (Super Metroid only)
- Mini-Kraid (Super Metroid only. In Metroid, it appears in Kraid's Lair)
- Samus Eater (Super Metroid only)
- Sbug (Super Metroid only. Causes no damage)
- ULF 37 (Super Metroid only)
- X-78Q (Metroid: Zero Mission only)
- Yapping Maw (Super Metroid only)
- Zebes Bio-Barrier (Metroid: Zero Mission only)
- King Worm (Metroid: Zero Mission only)
- Spore Spawn (Super Metroid only)
- Kraid (Super Metroid only. In Metroid and Zero Mission he has his own area)
Metroid: Zero MissionEdit
- 10 Missile Tanks
- 3 Energy Tanks
- 1 Super Missile Expansion
- Morph Ball
- Long Beam
- Morph Ball Bombs
- Varia Suit
- Charge Beam
- 12 Missile Tanks
- 3 Super Missile Tanks
- 5 Energy Tanks
- 1 Reserve Tank
- 5 Power Bomb Tanks
- Morph Ball
- Charge Beam
- Spazer Beam
- Varia Suit
- X-Ray Scope
-Note- These names come from the Super Metroid: Sound in Action CD. They designate the different areas of Brinstar.
The jungle, Upper Brinstar, is overgrown with vegetation and is home to many species of flora and fauna. There are many flowers in the background that may be related to the Cyrlic Tree. This area is also the most maze-like. Spore Spawn inhabits this area. Notable locations in this area are A Bridge Too Far and Hell.
The "Red Soil Swampy Area" is more straightforward. The soil here is red possibly because of the fiery heat of Norfair below. The main shaft of this area faintly pulsates a violet color; the source of this light is unknown. There are also numerous pools of water here as well as many Samus Eaters. Kraid's Lair and Kraid himself also take up residence in this area (while Kraid's Lair lacks any of the red soil, the music from the area still plays up until a corridor two rooms before Kraid).
The area where Samus Aran first appeared in Metroid. It is now mostly in ruins. It is one of the smallest parts of Zebes, and it is explored very early in the game. It is composed mostly of blue rock and is almost completely desolate. "Eyeball" security systems here detect Samus' presence after her arrival and alert the Space Pirates. Not all rooms in Brinstar are retained from Metroid. Only about three are kept: the starting room where Samus acquired the Morph Ball (curiously, it is there again); the room leading down to the elevator to Kraid's Lair (the door to which is now blocked off, replaced with a door leading to the first Missiles on the opposite side of the original door); and a corridor containing a large block with a small crevice that the Morph Ball can fit through (the door that used to be here is blocked off as well, and now has a Missile tank in its place). The Energy Tank that was hidden in one of the blocks in the ceiling in the first Metroid is there once again.
In Super Smash Bros. Melee and Super Smash Bros. Brawl, there is a stage based on Brinstar featuring rising and falling acid that damages fighters on contact, Zebetite-like structures holding up the platforms, and an unknown substance holding together two parts of the main stage, that can be destroyed by repeated attacks (although it will simply regenerate). The stage is based on the Planet Zebes stage from Super Smash Bros., essentially being a redesign of the original stage. The stage also appears in Melee's Adventure Mode, where the player must fight Samus Aran, then evacuate Zebes in 40 seconds or lose one stock life. The shaft bears resemblance to shafts in both Crateria and the Ceres Space Colony in Super Metroid. Kraid's Lair is also present as a stage, under the name "Planet Zebes: Brinstar Depths".
Metroid Zero Mission manualEdit
"Brinstar is covered in rock formations and is home to an array of dangerous indigenous creatures."
- The original Brinstar theme is one of the most frequently remixed themes in the Metroid series. It has a total of 12 remixes.