Ceres Space Colony (スペースコロニー Supēsu Koronī) was where Super Metroid began. After taking the baby aboard her gunship, Samus Aran brought it to the Space Science Academy Lab on Ceres for research. Shortly after she left, Ceres' distress signal activated and she returned to the colony to find it dark and all of the colony members dead. She progressed through the colony and met Ridley, holding the Baby in his talons. Samus and Ridley battled, but the Pirate fled and activated a Countdown. Samus escaped and Ceres exploded shortly afterwards. She then followed Ridley to Zebes, which she tore apart in search of the Baby.
- In Roman mythology, Ceres is the goddess of growing plants (particularly wheat) and of motherly love. Ceres was worshipped in Ancient Roman religion, and is today still worshipped in Religio Romana Neopaganism. Ceres was usually equated with the Greek goddess Demeter, who was the goddess of grain and fertility. The GF Naval Base Demeter is named after Demeter. Due to this, it is likely that Ceres and the Naval Base are related somehow.
- In real life, there is a dwarf planet in the solar system named Ceres. It is the only one that resides in the asteroid belt between Mars and Jupiter, and is the smallest of five identified dwarf planets in this system, though it is the largest object in the asteroid belt and contains roughly a third (32%) of its mass. On September 27, 2007, NASA launched the Dawn space probe that has been exploring Ceres since 2015.
- The Ceres Space Colony is the third of five space stations to be destroyed, following the Frigate Orpheon and Oubliette and preceding the BOTTLE SHIP and the Biologic Space Laboratories research station.
- The Super Smash Bros. Melee intro appears to depict the fight on Ceres. However, Samus is wearing her Varia Suit and uses Missiles, which she did not have at the time of exploration in the game. However, she did have the Varia Suit in the Super Metroid comic.
- The Japanese Super Metroid commercial appears to depict Samus as a scientist at Ceres. She can be seen throwing off her lab coat, leaving her in a black leotard, running over to her Power Suit. However, she may have simply been helping the scientists study the Baby.
- All of Ceres' doors are automatic. It shares this trait with the BOTTLE SHIP. Interestingly, both stations were also destroyed.
- It is possible to destroy the automatic doors with a Power Bomb. Samus can visit the station armed with Power Bombs through the Spacetime Beam Glitch.
- It is possible the research Ceres conducted on the Baby is what inspired the Federation to have a change of heart about exterminating the Metroids and begin to desire them as Biological weapons.
- When Samus reenters the first room of Ceres Station during the countdown, the door will explode behind her, making her unable to go back to the previous rooms. This is the only door to behave like this in all of Super Metroid.
|Planets visited in the Metroid Series|
|Other locations visited in the Metroid Series|
|Space Stations in the Metroid Series|
|† denotes a destroyed station.|
|Metroid | Sidehopper Station|
|Celestial Archives | Vesper Defense Outpost | Oubliette† | Head Shot | Outer Reach|
|Cosmos region A47|
|SR388's solar system|
|Biologic Space Laboratories research station†|
|Ceres Space Colony† | Junk Quixote | Medical Space Station | The Locker|