Crateria (クレテリア Kureteria) was the surface area of planet Zebes. Samus Aran landed on the respective area in Metroid: Zero Mission and in Super Metroid. It connected multiple areas, such as Maridia, the Wrecked Ship, Brinstar, Norfair, Chozodia and Tourian.
Crateria was mountainous and rocky and contained many caves for Samus Aran to explore. It had little vegetation, except for grass and other small plants. After Tourian's destruction in Metroid: Zero Mission, the landing site was constantly drenched by Acid Rain (most likely due to pollution from the destruction). This rain could not harm Samus due to the physical adaptations she had gone through while on Zebes. However, the Metroid Manga seems to suggest that Acid Rain has always been a part of Zebes.
Further down, was the site of the original Tourian from Metroid and Zero Mission. Its remains could be found on the way to Old Brinstar.
West of the landing site, there were caves leading to Brinstar with large mushrooms. There was a room with Golden Statues that served as the gateway to Tourian.
East of the landing site, ruins of the Chozo could be found on the way to Chozodia, as well as items left behind for Samus by the Chozo including the Power Grip upgrade and Unknown Item 1. Later, in Super Metroid, there were large pools of Water on the way to Maridia. They housed the Wrecked Ship.
Several pools of intense Lava could be found in upper Crateria, as well as lots of water; this lava is identical to that seen in Lower Norfair, no doubt having reached the planet's surface through a volcano created by diverging or converging of tectonic plates. Crateria is the area with the most water on Zebes besides Maridia.
Along with Brinstar, Crateria is the only place on Zebes where humans can survive naturally unaided by technology or biological augmentation, indicating that its environment is habitable and has a breathable atmosphere. In the manga, Mother Brain stated that the young Samus would only be able to survive in Brinstar and Crateria. As a result, the Chozo decided to infuse Samus' with Chozo DNA provided by Grey Voice which allowed her to survive in other areas of Zebes outside of Brinstar and Crateria.
- Alcoon (Super Metroid only)
- Beetom (Super Metroid only)
- Boyon (Super Metroid only)
- Choot (Super Metroid only)
- Fire Flea (Super Metroid only)
- Geemer (Super Metroid only)
- Green Space Pirate (Super Metroid only)
- Kago (Super Metroid only)
- Kihunter (Super Metroid only)
- Sbug (Super Metroid only, harmless)
- Sciser (Super Metroid only)
- Skree (Super Metroid only)
- Stoke (Super Metroid only, unused enemy that only functions properly in Crateria)
- Tripper (Super Metroid only)
- Waver (Super Metroid only)
- Yapping Maw (Super Metroid only)
- Torizo (Super Metroid only)
Metroid: Zero MissionEdit
- 8 Missile Tanks
- 2 Energy Tanks
- 1 Super Missile Tank
- 1 Power Bomb Tank
- What appears to be an early depiction of Crateria appears in Metroid in both the title screen as well as each ending. This depiction of Crateria has a golden-brown surface with a space background. It is unexplorable ingame. In Zero Mission, the remade area does not represent Crateria and is now more barren-looking.
- In Super Metroid, there are several unusually tall mushrooms with helixial stems present in Crateria. These function as a platform, and are found in only two hallways on the left side of the map, with four in each room.
- The name Crateria appears to be derived from the word crater.
- The theme that is heard when Samus first lands on Crateria is called Planet Zebes - Arrival on Crateria in Super Metroid: Sound in Action. It is remixed in Metroid: Samus Returns. After Kraid is defeated, the theme changes to a more triumphant theme called Crateria Surface, which is included in Sound in Action as an arrangement.
Super Metroid Players' GuideEdit
- Zebes - A Visitor's Guide (page 13)
- "The landing point for Samus; she'll dock her ship here before heading off into the great unknown. Samus can use the starship to re-energise and top up her missiles as well as save game data."
- Crateria (pages 15 and 16)
- "The quest begins... Samus, landing on the dangerous surface of Zebes, surveys her predicament. She's but one woman, albeit one tough bounty hunter, against hordes of marauding aliens. The odds may not be in her favour, but with the same skill and courage that saw her safely through her previous two missions for the Galactic Federation, she knows that there's always a chance. She steps from her craft, ready for battle..."
- "Crateria incorporates Zebes' surface area with some subterranean caverns; it's also where you begin your mission. Samus' ship touches down and remains hovering just above the ground for the duration of the game. Upon first arrival, you'll find the planet strangely deserted but for a few insects who disappear when they see you coming. Don't be lulled into a false sense of security, though; once you locate the morphing ball (see Brinstar), you'll find those seemingly harmless insects have spawned into a vicious array of mutants. Even then, as with many other areas of the game, you'll find yourself travelling between areas to locate certain items in order to bypass the various obstacles that crop up in Crateria."
- Area A (surface)
- "Samus arrives on the surface of Zebes amid the wind and rain of a fearsome Craterian thunderstorm. There's no time to waste, though, as at this very minute Mother Brain is plotting her evil machinations. The cliffs to the left are impassable at this point so go through the door on the right. Samus will return here later in her quest with the necessary items allowing her to pass into the higher reaches of this inhospitable section."
- Area B (west)
- "Here Samus will discover the all important bomb. Immediately, a whole new range of sections are open to exploration. Try bombing at random to reveal hidden rooms."
- Area C (east)
- "This section of Crateria will not be fully reachable until later in the game when the Space Jump and Gravity Suit have been obtained."
- Area D (lower)
- "A small section, there isn't much for Samus to see or do. Area D acts more as a thoroughfare between zones than anything else."
- Area E (far east)
- "Area E is simply a pathway to watery Maridia. Kill the nasties on the way only if Samus is low on ammo."
Metroid: Zero Mission manualEdit
"This is the surface of Planet Zebes."