The Desbrachian (デスバルク Desubaruku , lit. Death Bulk) is a large, somewhat beetle-like creature that makes its first appearance in the endgame of Metroid: Other M, where they are controlled telepathically by MB. Samus must contend with at least four of them at once alongside Madeline Bergman and a cohort of Galactic Federation soldiers.
In various places on the BOTTLE SHIP, Desbrachians can be seen in a hemispherical, cocoon-like form that occasionally covers doors leading to hidden passageways or expansions. At first, Samus is unaware of their true nature, but it can be quickly inferred they are obstacles to expansions and passageways as the Search View states "Power Bomb" when targeted, which she may only obtain after the post-credits sequence. If the Power Bomb is executed upon the cocoon, it will open up into a Desbrachian, and attack.
Many Desbrachian attacks only involve sweeping its arms around and moving at high speeds. Also, if Samus tries to jump while a Desbrachian is active, it may jump at her and slam her down to the ground, dealing heavy damage. The creature will also grab Samus and throw her hard onto the ground if she's in range.
Desbrachians are implied to be a sort of "supersoldier" organism for MB, and they truly are a force to be reckoned with; they are highly resistant to both Samus' Plasma Beam and her Super Missiles, although three Super Missiles can destroy it. Many of a Desbrachian's attacks can drain an entire Energy Tank, even when Samus is equipped with the Gravity Feature. The organism also displays an ability to retreat into a green-tinted version of its cocoon and regenerate when low on health, so it is recommended to use a Lethal Strike on them. However, laying a Power Bomb will dislodge it from its regenerating state.
If Samus tries to fire a Missile at the Desbrachian, there is a possibility it will hit its armor and bounce back at her, dealing light damage. Also, a Missile will cause the Desbrachian to produce a sort of purple shockwave which impairs Samus's vision for a while.
When using a Power Bomb while it is not attempting to regenerate, the Desbrachian will immediately retreat into its cocoon, but is promptly knocked out of it. However, it does not receive any damage.
- Desbrachians are one of the very few creatures in the game that are not instantly destroyed by Power Bombs; they cause only moderate damage to the creature. Furthermore, if Samus tries to Power Bomb it during the battle, the Desbrachian will retreat to its cocoon to endure the blast.
- Strangely, in the scene with battling MB, there are approximately 6 Desbrachians surrounding Samus and company in the cutscene, but there are only 4 when battled.
- It is speculated a Desbrachian killed James Pierce, as one of the cocoons is missing within the room, as seen in this image: . However, as the Deleter, it's also possible that James was actually able to kill the Desbrachian before his death. That would also explain why the Desbrachian didn't return to its resting place, unless it simply left with MB.
- Japanese concept art from Gallery Mode disconfirms this by stating that he was killed by MB.
- After the battle with MB, her four Desbrachians revert to their cocoon-like resting state. However, if Samus returns to the room after the credit sequence, they will have vanished. It is possible that they were taken by the Federation for study in between her visits, similar to Nightmare's and the Ridley clone's corpses, or they were simply disposed of. The latter reason is more likely, as no Desbrachians were seen aboard the Biologic Space Laboratories research station.