Draygon official art.
|Featured in||Super Metroid|
|Location||Lair of Draygon in Maridia (End Boss in Maridia)|
|Attacks||Spitting adhesive substance, tackling, grabbing, hitting with retractable tail.|
|Weakness||Stomach region, electricity|
|Reward(s)||Access to the Space Jump ability|
The Draygon (ドレイゴン doreigon) is a major boss from Super Metroid. It is a sort of waterborn crustacean, with a hard outer shell and soft underbelly. It seems to be a fully developed Evir and even has a few hatchlings, which are present in the chamber that it dwells in. It is found in its own lair, one of the last accessible rooms of Maridia.
Its defeat allows access to the room which holds the Space Jump ability, and is one of the four bosses necessary to defeat in order to enter Tourian as it is depicted on the Golden Statues. This heavily implies that the Draygon and Phantoon are high-ranking Space Pirates in the same way Kraid and Ridley are, indicating that the former two are not mindless creatures, but intelligent beings despite their monstrous appearances.
Super Metroid manualEdit
"The Draygon has an armor-like hard shell which gives it a lot of defensive strength."
Once Samus enters the chamber, three Wall Cannons will begin shooting electrical spheres in her direction, and will continue to do so for the entire upcoming battle, providing support for the boss unless she destroys them. Also present in the room is a small group of dark green Evirs which are swimming around near the seafloor, gradually moving to the right until they are out of sight moments later. Their highly protective "parent" will swim in with great haste in mere seconds. The Draygon will quickly jet back and forth in the chamber, disappearing past the walls, swimming in swift arcs in an attempt to tackle Samus. Its body is nearly completely covered in a tough impenetrable shell, save for its soft underbelly, which is susceptible to Super Missiles.
Occasionally, between the swift swimming arcs, the Draygon will slow down and release several dozen globs of gray mucus from its mouth as it emerges from either side of the room. The mucus, resembling Boyons, can attach themselves to Samus, slowing her movement and allowing Draygon to grab onto her and deal massive damage with its claws and tail.
Throughout the battle, the Draygon's stomach will gradually change from a pale yellow to a very bright crimson, depending on how much damage Samus has inflicted. Once defeated, its stomach bursts, and the creature will fall while its eyes convulse in every direction, releasing its final cries and floating down to the seafloor. As its eyes close, its children will slowly reappear and burrow into the ground with the body in complete silence.Samus can defeat the Draygon easily by destroying the Wall Cannons on the walls. By allowing the Draygon to grab her, she can then fire the Grappling Beam at the sparking wreckage of the cannons. The Power Suit will act as an electricity conductor, transferring an intense electrical charge into the Draygon's body. After a few moments of intense shocking, Draygon's health will rapidly deplete to nothing, and end the battle rather quickly. Note that the electrocution of Draygon will also cause a noticeable amount of damage to Samus as well.
- Human skull-like shapes can be seen on Draygon's head. These shapes greatly resemble a Covern's overall appearance.
- ROM hacks have revealed that it is not the electricity itself that kills Draygon, but rather the act of grappling to an object. If Samus grapples a regular Grapple Point added to the chamber, Draygon can still be killed using the glitch, although it will not cause any damage to Samus. (See here for the trick, around 1:46).
- The battle with Draygon also provides the game's only opportunity to exploit the blue suit glitch. Though difficult, this glitch allows Samus to permanently retain the properties of speed boosting, even when walking at a normal speed. The glitch is activated by repeatedly using Draygon's mucus attack to charge a shinespark, and hitting Draygon with a hyper jump. When Draygon dies by this, the blue suit is activated, until certain actions (dashing, shinesparking) cancel it.
- Deceased bioforms can be seen in Draygon's room; most of these are Scisers, implying that they are sustenance for Draygon and/or the Evirs.
- The Super Metroid Player's Guide refers to Draygon as both a mutant and reptile.
- The secret electrocution killing method is mirrored in another boss fight in Metroid Prime 2: Echoes, for the Grapple Guardian.
- Although Draygon's gender has never been specified, it may be a female due to the Evirs, implied to be its offspring.
- Several cube-like structures, which resemble Space Pirate Crates from Echoes, can be seen floating in Draygon's room. Their purpose is unknown.
- As of Metroid: Other M, Draygon is the only one of the 5 Space Pirate commanders (Mother Brain included) to be fought in only one game.
- Draygon's roars are those of Anguirus, a daikaiju of the Godzilla series.
|Bosses in the Metroid series|
|Metroid||Kraid • Ridley • Mother Brain|
|Metroid: Zero Mission|| King Worm • Mua • Kraid • Bug Larva • Kiru Giru • Imago • Ridley • Mother Brain • Ruins Test • Ridley Robot |
|Metroid II: Return of Samus||Alpha Metroid • Arachnus • Gamma Metroid • Zeta Metroid • Omega Metroid • Queen Metroid|
|Super Metroid||Torizo • Spore Spawn • Kraid • Crocomire • Phantoon • Botwoon • Draygon • Golden Torizo • Ridley • Big Metroid • Mother Brain|
|Metroid: Other M||Brug Mass • Fune and Namihe • Groganch • King Kihunter • Mystery Creature • Goyagma • RB176 Ferrocrusher • Rhedogian • Vorash • Ridley • Nightmare • Queen Metroid • MB • Phantoon|
|Metroid Fusion||Arachnus-X • Elephant Bird • Zazabi • Serris • B.O.X. Security Robot • Mega Core-X • Scientist • Yakuza • Nettori • Nightmare • Neo-Ridley • SA-X • Omega Metroid|
|See also: Bosses in Metroid Prime Series|
|Tallon IV||Aqua Reaper • Aqua Sac • Fish (Phendrana Drifts) • Jelzap • Tangle Weed • Tallon Crab|
|Aether||Blogg • Bloggling • Alpha Blogg • Fish • Brizgee • Dark Blogg • Grenchler • Hydling • Krocuss|
|Dark Aether||Chykka • Dark Blogg • Dark Grenchler • Dark Phlogus • Dark Shredder • Flying Ing Cache • Venom Weed • Watchdrone|
|Zebes||Botwoon • Bull • Cacatac • Choot • Draygon • Evir • Gadora • Gamet • Oum • Owtch • Powamp • Puyo • Sciser • Skultera • Tatori • Tatori, Jr. • Yapping Maw • Yard • Zoa|
|Bottle Ship||Fish • Skultera|
|BSL||Evir-X • Gadora-X • Owtch-X • Powamp-X • Mermen Pirate • Sciser-X • Serris • Skultera-X • Yard-X|