When Samus enters this area of the VDO, the generator begins malfunctioning, and is about to explode. Samus must race to the top of the facility and shut the process down using the terminal at the top within one minute. Once this is done, the area becomes free for exploration.
When Samus shuts down the generator, a shield key appears, which allows her to obtain the nearby artifact. There are around three datashades to be scanned here, as well as a handful of objects.
All inhabitants appear on Samus' first visit only.
- Missile Expansion
- This item is found near the Silo Levitator near the top of the room.
- Binary Subscripture
- Stop the generator from exploding by scanning the terminal at the top of the room. This will cause the Shield Key to appear. It is below the artifact shield in a passage initially blocked by a force field, that can be deactivated by a terminal. Samus must re-enter the passage to get the artifact.
- Silo Levitator
- "REPOSITORY FOR HEAVY INTEPLANETARY WARHEADS, HELD IN PLACE BY A CONTINUAL UPDRAFT FROM A HIGH-PRESSURE WIND TUNNEL."
- Cryogenic Storage
- "WEAPON STORAGE CONTAINERS. MAINTAINED AT SUBZERO TEMPERATURES FOR STABILITY AND TO PREVENT OVERHEATING OF FUSION-POWERED WEAPONRY."
- Cooling Vent
- "NITROGEN PUMPS ESTABLISH AND MAINTAIN A SUBZERO ATMOSPHERE THROUGHOUT THE VESPER DEFENSE OUTPOST."
- Methane Pipeline
- "LIQUID METHANE FUEL DELIVERY SYSTEM."
- Alimbic Order 05
- "REUNITE ALL EIGHT OCTOLITHS IN THE CANNON CONTROL ROOM TO OPEN THE DOORWAY TO GOREA."
- Seal Sphere 02
- "GOREA IS IMMOBILIZED WITHIN THE SEAL SPHERE, JUST ONE OF MANY PRECAUTIONS TAKEN TO ENSURE ITS ETERNAL CAPTIVITY."
- Alimbic War 08
- "WE FINALLY CONTAINED GOREA, BUT WE PAID A HEAVY PRICE TO DO SO. MAY OUR SACRIFICE BRING PEACE TO THE GALAXY."
- If Samus enters the shaft in the centre of the room in single-player mode, she will die.
- In multiplayer, entering the shaft causes hunters to float upwards. Touching the top or the bottom of the shaft will kill the hunter.