Ad blocker interference detected!
Wikia is a free-to-use site that makes money from advertising. We have a modified experience for viewers using ad blockers
Wikia is not accessible if you’ve made further modifications. Remove the custom ad blocker rule(s) and the page will load as expected.
|“||The creature's corpse showed signs of what looked like Metroid predation, making my mind race. Metroids... here? Impossible. Metroids can't tolerate cold temperatures - they couldn't survive in this environment. Besides, they're extinct. The baby was the last of its kind...||„|
Gigafraug (サムス・アラン Gigaēru ) (called Gigaeile in Japanese artwork) is a new "Charging-Type Monster" species featured in Metroid: Other M. It is found in a large frozen room, and chases Samus down a frozen lake. This creature shares similarities with the Sheegoth, due to its spiked appearance and the environment in which Samus faces it.
Later, one is found frozen and dead. Samus observes the deceased form and remarks that it looks like it was drained of its Energy by a Metroid, but knew this was impossible as they cannot survive in cold temperatures, and also because they became extinct with the Baby's death. The subject being drained by Metroid is proven true later in the game with the existence of unfreezable Metroids.
Unless the Plasma Beam is used, it is immune to Overblasts and Lethal Strikes until its head is broken (although it will still flash red briefly, indicating damage), which is most easily accomplished by firing a Missile at its forehead. It can also be killed with attacks to its unshielded rear, like a Moto.
- Strangely, the Metroid-predated Gigafraug body is not present following the post-credits sequence. The corpse was most likely disposed of, as no Gigafraugs were encountered on the Biologic Space Laboratories research station, if any ever were on board.
- The Gigafraug appears to have physical traits seen in several animal species of Earth, such as antlers like that of a moose and a fluke on its tail like a dolphin (the latter characteristic may suggest the creature is an aquatic bioform) while its head shape resembles that of a whale, save for the antlers.
- The creature's eyes glow bright green when it is in the process of attacking.
- If Samus attempts Overblast before breaking the Gigafraug's shielded head, the creature will ram its head at her, preventing her from jumping on its head.
- The Gigafraug's body structure heavily resembles the Moto's, the Grenchler's, the Grapple Guardian's, the Sheegoth's and Baby Sheegoth's. It is unknown if the creature's designs were inspired by one another in any way.
- Its name appears to be a combination of the metric prefix "giga-" (referring to its large size) and a misspelling of "frog" (referencing its amphibious qualities).
- After acquiring the Screw Attack, Samus can easily kill these creatures by simply Screw Attacking toward them, killing the Gigafraug instantly.
- This is one of the only creatures in Other M that Samus can use to help her. If she dodges its charging attack at just the right time while standing in front of some breakable icicles, the Gigafraug will break them for her.