Gravitts are a hermit crab-like species native to SR388 in Metroid II: Return of Samus and its remake, Metroid: Samus Returns. This creature hides in the floor, only coming out to attack when Samus Aran comes close. When hidden, only their spiked shell can be seen.
Behavior and CharacteristicsEdit
In Metroid II, Gravitts are only found in Phase 4. A hiding Gravitt cannot be shot with a narrow-beamed weapon. Samus must jump over and shoot down at them while they are hidden. These creatures are notorious for hiding under destructible sand blocks, so caution should be exercised when traveling on the bottom of a sandy area.
In Metroid: Samus Returns, Gravitts are now more ubiquitously found throughout SR388. They also no longer hide in sand blocks, as the blocks are not present in the remake. These creatures are much more aggressive; once they emerge from their hiding place, they try to stab Samus using their claw-like feet. This attack is counterable, and successfully countering it causes them to fall upside-down, making them vulnerable to beam weapons.
Samus Returns also introduces a later stronger variant, Black Gravitts. They can be countered like their weaker brethren, which releases a large amount of Aeion energy but does not make them vulnerable to beam weaponry. Samus can only defeat this variant with the Beam Burst or Power Bomb.
Metroid II manualEdit
"It comes out of the ground and rushes at Samus, then darts back underground."
- Inhabitants & Eco System of SR388 (p. 17)
- "Gravitts look an awful lot like moving rocks; the way they bury themselves until only their tips are visible enhances the effect. Their rocky appearance isn’t just for show; they have strong outer shells but move slowly when compared to most other creatures in the planet’s underground. Defeating them requires explosive weaponry."
- Walkthrough (p. 36)
- "These creatures hide underground and don’t pop up unless disturbed. You can see the tips of their rocky shells, which can be shot from a distance to force them out from under the earth. They can’t be easily defeated with the Power Beam, but a few well-placed missiles make short work of them. If you allow them to get close, they lunge at you. The lunge isn’t particularly fast and is also counterable. All in all, these foes only cause a problem when other enemies are around."
- Walkthrough (p. 103)
- BLACK GRAVITT
- "This creature packs a hardy shell on its back that’s impervious to most attacks. Black Gravitts aren’t particularly difficult to defeat, and the greatest threat they pose comes when they pop out of the ground. Turn on you Beam Burst and let ’em have it. They’ll be out of your hair in no time flat."
- Issue 31 of Nintendo Power erroneously refers to Rock Icicles as a Gravitt on page 56.
- Gravitts bear similarities to Ramulkens, another creature found on SR388, as both are shelled creatures that try to rush Samus upon seeing her.
- It is unknown if the Gravitt species was infected by the X Parasites, as Samus never encountered any Gravitt-X in Metroid Fusion.
- The sound Gravitts make when emerging from the ground in Samus Returns is strikingly similar to the death scream of a Kyratian in Metroid: Other M.