|This is a featured article.|
Gulluggs, or Gullugs have long, needle-like noses and fly around in circles.
They are found on SR388 on the Surface and in Area 1. They frequently yield Missiles when killed. These creatures share the same eye style with the Yakuza in Metroid Fusion, suggesting that there may be some relation between the species. They resemble mosquito heads with bat wings.
In the game Metroid II: Return of Samus, Gulluggs can be seen constantly circling around a small area in the air. If Samus comes into contact with them, they can deal an extraordinary amount of damage, especially if she is hit more than once at the same time. Without the extra protection of the Varia Suit, they can cause a staggering 12 points of damage with one touch.
Gullugs re-appear in Metroid: Samus Returns, now capable of flying freely through the air. They are ubiquitous throughout the planet and are one of the most common species found on SR388. Samus encounters a Gullug on the Surface, where the game introduces the Melee Counter. Samus is encouraged to use it against an attacking Gullug. In Chozo Memory 02, a Gullug can be seen feeding on a dead Hornoad, which implies they are carrion feeders as they are not shown preying on living Hornoads. This may explain why they are so prevalent throughout SR388's environment.
There are three types of Gullug encountered on SR388. Normal Gullugs are blue and the weakest type. Stronger Gullugs are pink, stronger, and faster than normal Gullugs. The final type are Electric Gullugs which can electrify there needle making them the immune to Melee Counters. Electric Gullugs can be defeated using the Ice Beam to freeze them, then smashing them using either Missiles or a Melee Counter to kill them instantly. The Beam Burst and Power Bombs are also effective.
Official Media Edit
"This creature flies around and around in the air."
- Inhabitants & Eco System of SR388 (p. 16)
- "Gullugs start as a nuisance and become a full-blown pandemic the farther into SR388 you go. These spike bats force you to Melee Counter far more than any other enemy, which adds a level of chaos to any multiple-monster encounter. They typically stay well out of melee range and attack by pointing their spiked tips in your direction and launching themselves like bullets. A Melee Counter and a shot from your Power Beam are usually all it takes to defeat them, but fighting them with the counter promises to be a headache. Tread lightly when a Gullug is around."
- Walkthrough - Gullugg (p. 34)
- "Enemies of the Gullug variety are plentiful in SR388. They’re aggressive, their flight patterns are erratic, and countering them requires precision. Trying to defeat them without a Melee Counter is a great way to lose a lot of health. When you see a Gullug, wait patiently for the click and white circle, counter, then press the Fire button. Once it’s countered, it goes down in a shot or two, but tread lightly before then."
- Walkthrough - Stronger Gullugg (p. 77)
- "During your journey to obtain Missile Tank M-18, you encounter a faster, meaner version of the Gullugg. This one features a pink hue, and defeating it requires significantly more shots. To make this enemy much easier to deal with, using the Ice Beam and shatter it with a melee attack or a missile."
- Walkthrough - Electric Gullugg (p. 149)
- "As soon as you enter the high-temperature area on your way to Metroid 31 / 40, you bump into a pair of Electric Gulluggs. These are some of the toughest enemies you come across on SR388. Because these Gulluggs are electrified, they can't be countered and they are also incredibly hardy, meaning it takes a ton of shots to bring them down. So what can be done? Freezing an Electric Gullugg with a charged Ice Beam shot, then shooting it with a missile or hitting it with a melee attack makes short work of this enemy. Your Beam Bust and Super Missiles also work, but those are precious resources that you don't need to waste when an Ice Beam shot can take care of your problems."
- It is unknown if the Gullugg species was infected by the X Parasites, as Samus never encountered any Gullugg-X in Fusion.