|This article is written from the Real Life point of view|
Born on June 25, 1961 in Hyougo Prefecture, his work on the game includes numerous backgrounds. Besides Metroid, he has also worked on graphics for Famicom Wars.
During a post-development interview following Super Metroid 's release in 1994, when asked if there were any secrets about Samus that only he knew, Matsuoka claimed that Samus was actually a "newhalf", a Japanese slang term for a transgender woman. The Metroid Database, in their unofficial translation of the interview, used the English "shemale" which is roughly the English equivalent. A later interview with Yoshio Sakamoto would joke about the same quote from said interview, saying that a Metroid game was as likely to come to PlayStation 2 as Samus was to be transgender. Despite this, the claim has recently led to much debate regarding its legitimacy, considering that while Matsuoka was a member of the Metroid development team, the level of involvement which he had in Samus's original character design (if any) is uncertain.
- Birthday: June 25, 1961
- Hometown: Hyougo Prefecture
- Masterpieces: Metroid, Famicom Wars, Super Mario Land, Game Boy Wars, Mario Paint
- Duties and Content: Background Production
- Favorite Films and Music: I don't watch too many movies, and also especially music... I listen to FM radio in the car.
- Secret of Samus that only I know: Samus isn't a woman. As a matter of fact, she's actually a shemale.
- Clear Time: 3:30