The Hive Mecha is the second boss Samus battles in Metroid Prime. They are classified as a second-generation combat drone, able to interface with organic units at a higher level. It trains, shelters, and works with its hive dwellers. However, the device is very weak; without any methods to defend itself, it solely relies on the creatures that reside in it to handle any threats, in this case Ram War Wasps. The Mecha is vulnerable around its access ports and cannot withstand many shots from the Power Beam.
In the PAL and Japanese versions of the game, the Hive Mecha's scan point is positioned in the upper area while the American version is located in the lower portion submerged in the water. This potentially caused players to miss their opportunity at scanning this boss.
Before Samus can target the actual Hive Mecha, she must deal with a swarm of Ram War Wasps, which swirl around her very fast and are difficult to hit. Eventually, one or more wasps will pause before rushing at her to sting her and knock her into the acid. This is Samus' chance to kill them. Once the wasps are dead, the Hive Mecha opens up an access port that emits a high frequency signal to usher in more Wasps. Samus must fire at this, the mecha's weak spot, until it rotates, opens another hatch and releases a new round of wasps for her to kill, repeating the battle until the Mecha is defeated.
Mechanoid: Hive Mecha
Security unit programmed to work with predatory hive dwellers.
A design flaw makes the shielding on Hive Mecha weak around their access ports. These units are second-generation combat drones, able to interface with organic units at a higher level. They train, shelter, and work with hive dwelling predators. Unarmed, they rely on their hive beasts to handle any threats.
- Scan before battle
- "Mechanical device appears to be inactive. Life-forms detected within hollows of machine."
- Access port opened
- "This device is emitting a high frequency signal. This may be the cause of the War Wasp swarms."
- This is the music when battling the Hive Mecha and Incinerator Drone: 
- The theme for the Hive Mecha and Incinerator Drone was remixed for the Parasite Purge and Burrower Bash minigames in Metroid Prime Pinball.
- This battle is similar to a fight on the planet Norion where Samus must defeat several "Jolly Roger" Drones that surround and circle her.
- Interestingly, the Hive Mecha is invincible to any beam except the Power Beam and the Missiles, as seen by sequence breaking to get the Space Jump first, then Ghetto Jumping the half pipe in Main Plaza or L-Lock Spring Space Jumping to another expansion in Main Plaza.
- The Hive Mecha's access port, when opened, emits infrared pulses impairing the Thermal Visor if it is collected by Sequence Breaking.