The Hive Mecha
|Featured in||Metroid Prime|
|Location||Hive Totem, Chozo Ruins|
|Attacks||none; relies on Ram War Wasps for protection.|
|Weakness||weak shielding around access ports.|
The Hive Mecha is the second boss Samus battles in Metroid Prime. They are classified as a second-generation combat drone, able to interface with organic units at a higher level. It trains, shelters, and works with its hive dwellers. However, the device is very weak; without any methods to defend itself, it solely relies on the creatures that reside in it to handle any threats, in this case Ram War Wasps. The Mecha is vulnerable around its access ports and cannot withstand many shots from the Power Beam.
In the PAL and Japanese versions of the game, the Hive Mecha's scan point is positioned higher while the American version is located underwater. This makes scanning somewhat difficult.
Before Samus can target the actual Hive Mecha, she must deal with a swarm of Ram War Wasps, which swirl around her very fast and are difficult to hit. Eventually, one or more wasps will pause before rushing at her to sting her and knock her into the acid. This is Samus' chance to kill them. Once the wasps are dead, the Hive Mecha opens up an access port, possibly to usher in Wasps that will never come. Samus must fire at this, the mecha's weak spot, until it rotates, opens another hatch and releases a new round of wasps for her to kill, repeating the battle until the Mecha is defeated.
- This is the music when battling the Hive Mecha and Incinerator Drone: 
- The theme for the Hive Mecha and Incinerator Drone was remixed for the Parasite Purge and Burrower Bash minigames in Metroid Prime Pinball.
- This battle is similar to a fight on the planet Norion where Samus must defeat several "Jolly Roger" Drones that surround and circle her.
- Interestingly, the Hive Mecha is invincible to any beam except the Power Beam and the Missiles, as seen by sequence breaking to get the Space Jump first, then Ghetto Jumping the half pipe in Main Plaza or L-Lock Spring Space Jumping to another expansion in Main Plaza.
- The Hive Mecha's access port, when opened, emits infrared pulses impairing the Thermal Visor if it is collected by Sequence Breaking.