The Phazon Hyper Beam as seen in Metroid Prime 3: Corruption.
|Featured in||Metroid Prime 3: Corruption|
|Obtained||Obtained with PED Suit|
In Metroid Prime 3: Corruption, Samus's PED Suit gave her the Hyper Beam, a beam similar to the Phazon Beam. It is used when entering Hyper Mode and looks like a bolt of blue electricity. This weapon could be considered as a refined and controlled version of the Phazon Beam previously used in the battle against the Metroid Prime. Also, in Corruption, unlike the other appearances, this Hyper Beam has a charge function. When charged, it fires a large number of bolts at a continuous speed in a similar fashion to a machine gun for a short time; this blast is similar, but still quite different, to Dark Samus's scattershot variant of the Power Beam. The charged beam has limited lock-on capabilities similar to the Shock Coil, another Galactic Federation weapon.
The Hyper Beam is fueled by Phazon from Samus's own body, causing Samus to lose a fair amount of energy while firing. Each individual shot of the Hyper Beam uses 4 energy. A charged Hyper Beam shot, depending on how long it is charged, can use up to almost half of an energy tank (this amount increases even more on higher difficulties).
- Unlike the Plasma Beam (Metroid Prime) or the Annihilator Beam, the Hyper Beam's model is more "slanted down" rather than "ejected forward". This makes the Hyper Beam the only Beam in Corruption which does not look similar to a Beam from the previous two Prime games.
- For some reason, if Samus is in Hyper Mode at the start of some cutscenes (e.g., after the hunters battles and in the ending cutscene), her Arm Cannon remains in the Hyper Beam configuration even though Hyper Mode is disabled. Oddly, in the cutscene before the Rundas battle where Samus and Rundas battle the Space Pirates, Samus is seen firing Power Beam shots even if her Arm Cannon is in Hyper Beam formation due to the glitch.
- Samus also acquires a different Hyper Beam in Super Metroid following the death of the Baby. It is a powerful line of shifting rainbow colors that is not directly related to the Hyper Beam in Corruption.
- In the ending sequence where Samus gives a thumbs up to the player, the Hyper Beam shape is shown on her Arm Cannon despite that Phazon had been entirely eliminated prior to Phaaze's destruction.
- In its scale model, the Hyper Beam is locked in a capsule. However, the other Hyper Tools (Hyper Ball, Hyper Missile, and Hyper Grapple) are not capsulized but are in a Phazon aura in a circle. This could be because the Hyper Beam is a created power-up (by the Galactic Federation), whereas all the other Hyper weapons are mutations gained when Samus absorbs more Phazon from the remains of Leviathan Guardians.
- The Charge Shot of the Hyper Beam somwhat resembles a Gatling Gun when being fired as the barrels spin rapidly to fire multiple shots at a high fire rate.
|Power Beam • Long Beam • Wave Beam • Ice Beam • Plasma Beam|
Charge Beam • Spazer Beam • Grapple Beam • Hyper Beam (SM/MP3) • Wide Beam
Phazon Beam • Dark Beam • Light Beam • Annihilator Beam • Electro Lob
Volt Driver • Battlehammer • Magmaul • Shock Coil • Judicator • Imperialist
Omega Cannon • Nova Beam • Zero Laser • Diffusion Beam
Arm Cannon • Paralyzer • "tractor beam" • Entangler • Lightblast • Disruptor