Lava (or Magma) in the world of Metroid is a hazardous and viscous substance of molten rock that harms or kills most beings that come in contact with it. It appears in all games in the series except Metroid Prime 2: Echoes and Metroid Prime 3: Corruption (though Dark Water in Echoes and Fuel Gel in Corruption seem to take lava's role of hazardous substance). The substance is mostly seen inside or around a Volcano.
Samus' speed when running through the substance is slowed down in all Metroid games. In Super Metroid, Metroid Fusion and Metroid: Zero Mission however, this hindrance in movement is nullified when the Gravity Suit is equipped. The Gravity Suit also gives Samus immunity to the harmful effects of magma/lava. However, superheated magma found in the depths of Norfair, as well as Ridley's Lair, Tourian and in Crateria can still harm her through the suit's protection in Super Metroid for unclear reasons. The same applies to Metroid Prime's and Metroid: Other M's lava within the Magmoor Caverns/Pyrosphere, respectively.While the original Tourian featured in Zero Mission had normal lava that the Gravity Suit could protect Samus from, the rebuilt Pirate Headquarters in Super Metroid is filled with two different lava-like substances that ignore the mentioned suit's protection: the first one seems to be a highly concentrated liquid not found anywhere else on Zebes, while the second is the previously mentioned superheated magma found mostly in Lower Norfair.
Some areas in the original Famicom/NES Metroid and Zero Mission feature fake magma where Samus can fall right through to reach secret areas without being harmed. Once entering the fake magma, it will vanish, revealing it to be no more than an illusion or possibly a hologram.
- Lava and Metroid were referenced in the film Spy Kids 3-D. In one scene, the characters were discussing the constant presence of lava in video games. One says that "In Metroid, it's actually magma."
- The mentioned superheated substance found mostly in Ridley's Lair was capable of melting the entire body of the Crocomire, leaving nothing but its bones.
- In Metroid: Other M, Samus is very limited in her actions while submerged in the substance; she cannot engage Morph Ball mode and is unable to jump out of lava depending on her position.
- Sovas "drink" lava.
- According to concept art for Sovas in Metroid: Other M, there are apparently microbes that are not only able to resist the extreme temperatures of lava, but thrive in it as well. As Sovas are native to Zebes and feed on them, one can assume that the microbes are native to the planet as well.
- In Super Metroid, Samus cannot run or use the Speed Booster in lava, even with the Gravity Suit. This is likely due to lava being very thick to the point that even the Gravity Suit cannot allow complete unhindered movement through it.
|Hazardous||Acid (Beta) • Acid Rain • Afloraltite • Dark Water • Fire • Fuel Gel • Lava (SR388) • Phazon|
|Gases||Dark vapor • Industrial-grade pesticide • Meta-viprium gas • Nohadin gas • Poison gas • Talvania Gas|
|Destructible|| Bendezium • Brinstone • Cordite • Denzium • Frigidite • Glass • Grobnite • Ice • Maldium • Meltable Metal • Radion • Sandstone • Talloric Alloy • Vegetation • Zebetite |
Kelbium and Zafrite
|Phazon||Red • Crystal • Black Crystal • Mass • Ore • Elite Nutrient Mix • Strain Vertigo • Phazite (Red) • Concentrated|
|Crystals||Ammolite/Witherite Shards • Black Phazon • Crystallized Fuel Gel • Dark Sentinel • Lift • Liftvine • Light • Phazon • Red magma • Sentinel|
|Ore||Urthic • Phazon|
|Miscellaneous||Invisible platform • Jovian steel • Liquid Resource • Sand • Vaccine "Metroid" • Waste • Water|
|Food, Nourishment and Sustenance|
|Plants||Blueroot Tree • Fruit • Red Starburst • Sap Sac|
|Species||Geruta • Embers • Kiru Giru • Pirate Militia • Reo • Ripper • Sciser • Scritter • Skree • Space Pirate • Tallon Crab • Torizo • X Parasite • Zoomer|
|Specific Humans||Samus Aran • Virginia Aran|
|Carrion||"Deceased Soldier" • Amok Mommy|
|Liquid||Lava • Phazon|
|Artificial/Misc.||Elite Nutrient Mix • Energy • Nutrient-grade biomatter • Synthetic Metroid rations • Wrecked Ship|