The Magmoor Caverns
|Environment||Magma / Underground Caverns|
|Sub-Areas|| 2 Sub-areas:
|Upgrades||Plasma Beam, Ice Spreader|
|Key Items||2 Chozo Artifacts|
|Connected areas||Tallon Overworld, Chozo Ruins, Phendrana Drifts and Phazon Mines|
|Distinct features||Long caves filled with magma, mostly underground.|
The Magmoor Caverns (Lava Caves in the Japanese version) are a central area of Tallon IV (and extending northwest), neighboring the Phazon Mines to the southeast, the Tallon Overworld above and east, Chozo Ruins above and northeast, and the Phendrana Drifts above and southwest. It is not only geographically situated among all the areas that Samus visits in Metroid Prime, but also accessible from each -- except for the Impact Crater on its south, which is only accessible via the Overworld. The Caverns are very dangerous and flooded with magma, supporting such creatures as the eponymous Magmoors, Triclops, Puffers, Auto Defense Turrets, and even some Space Pirates. It is ironically the only area in the game that links to the Phendrana Drifts.
Areas and main roomsEdit
The Magmoor Caverns are, as a whole, long and narrow. There are only a few very large rooms, and most of it is subterranean, only three rooms being above the surface. Most of its rooms are superhot, and thus, Samus needs the temperature protection offered by the Varia Suit to traverse through them safely. The magma found here is extremely dangerous, and if Samus falls in, it will harm her, regardless of her current suit. A minor Space Pirate base resides here, with a small amount of technology present in other areas, such as the Flame jet.
- It is the only area in Metroid Prime that has no boss creature, though Thardus was seemingly intended for this area but was moved due to time constraints, as revealed in Mike Sneath's interview: I am not 100% sure but if I remember correctly Thardus was suppose to be in a large lava pit arena but I believe we had to change it due to time constraints.
- The music in Magmoor Caverns is a remix of the Lower Norfair theme from Super Metroid.
- A pinball version of this area is the only multiplayer board in Metroid Prime Pinball.
- Magmoor Caverns connects to every other area of Tallon IV, excluding the Impact Crater. It is also the only area that connects to Phendrana Drfits, the exact opposite climate.
- It is possible to go to the first elevator to Phendrana Drifts without the Varia Suit by Sequence Breaking, as demonstrated here.
|Areas of Tallon IV|
|Tallon Overworld | Chozo Ruins | Magmoor Caverns | Phendrana Drifts | Phazon Mines | Impact Crater|