A Metroid Hatcher.
|Featured in||Metroid Prime 3: Corruption|
|Location||Aurora Chamber (G.F.S. Valhalla)|
Metroid Creche (Pirate Research)
Generator B (Norion)
|Weakness||Tentacles, Nova Beam/X-Ray Visor combo|
|Life Cycle||Preceded by: Phazon Metroid|
Followed by: Unknown
|Stage||Stage 3: Paternal|
The Metroid Hatcher is a Phazon Metroid further mutated by Phazon. It has four long tentacles, which it can use to drain the life energy of creatures, much like Hunter Metroids. It is also capable of spawning Phazon Metroids from its maw.
The Metroid Hatcher's membrane is protected by a Phazite-like shell; however, the same does not apply to its tentacles. If the tentacles are harmed enough, they will retract into the Metroid Hatcher's shell, at which point it will begin to spawn Phazon Metroids from its mouth and violently spin around the room. Before it does so, however, its mouth is vulnerable; if it is attacked enough, it will become stunned, allowing one of its tentacles to be ripped off with the Grapple Lasso. Ripping off all four tentacles will defeat it. The Hatcher can spin while any number of the tentacles are remaining, and can also use them to drain Samus' energy much like a Hunter Metroid.
The Hyper Ball is a good way to quickly damage all of the tentacles at once. If the Metroid Hatcher latches on to Samus in Morph Ball mode, she will be unable to do anything until it throws her. Seeker Missiles are also effective, as each individual tentacle can be targeted.
Metroid Hatchers are fought at three locations: in the Metroid Creche on the Space Pirate Homeworld, in the Aurora Chamber on the Valhalla, and in Generator B on Norion. The one in the Generator B lives in a corrupted area, and can be fully healed by the Phazon in it.
Once Samus had received both the X-Ray Visor and the Nova Beam, she can hit a Metroid Hatcher in its weak spot by locking on and aiming for the Hatcher's heart, which glows red and yellow in the X-Ray Visor, and destroy it with a single, anticlimactic hit. All three Hatchers can be killed this way.
- The Metroid Hatcher is the first and only boss that can be killed in one shot without any cheats.
- Metroid Hatchers are the only known species of Metroid to possess a heart.
- Ilya Nazarov designed and modeled the Metroid Hatcher.
- The Hatcher's tentacles, as well as the creature's movement patterns and attacks, are directly reminiscent of the Hunter Metroid. Interestingly, both Hunters and Hatchers are advanced stages of their larval forms, the Tallon Metroid and Phazon Metroid, respectively.
- The tentacles are also shared with early Metroid art in the original game and the Nintendo Comics System.
- All three Metroid Hatchers can be ignored or skipped completely on a fast run: The wing containing Generator B on Norion is a completely optional area, so the Hatcher there can be ignored completely (however, this Hatcher must be defeated if the player wishes to obtain all 9 Energy Cells); the same goes for the one on the Pirate Homeworld, since it's only necessary to destroy it to retrieve an Energy Tank and unlock a shortcut. The Hatcher in the Aurora Chamber on the Valhalla is automatically encountered after restoring power to the room's systems (by using 2 Energy Cells); however, it can be avoided by simply running to the upper exit of the room (doing this will cause the Hatcher to wait by the upper doorway until the player returns, when it can again be avoided by heading directly to the lower door).
|Natural Life Cycle|| |
|Zebes Metroids|| |
|Tallon IV Metroids|
|Aether Metroids|| |
|Phazon Metroids|| |
|Cocoons and Eggs|| |
|Artificial Metroids|| |
|Metroid Hybrids|| |
|Specific Metroids|| |
|Metroid Technologies|| |
|Native to Phaaze|| Hyper Grapple blocker • Leviathan • Leviathan womb • Leviathan Infant • Phazon Core • Phaz-Ing • Jelsac • Liquid Phazon • Maw • Phazon Grub • Phazon Leech |
Phazon Fungus • Phazon tendril • Phazon vine • Glow Stem • Aazelion • Tangle Weed • Massive Tentacle • Parasitic fungus • Fungus • Protozoan • Seed platform
Missile Blocker • EyeballBlocker
|Corrupted Creatures||Phazon Hopper • Phazon Nightbarb • Phazon Shriekbat • Phazon Puffer • Phazon Pillbug|
|Space Pirates||Aurora Unit 313 • Elite Pirate • Phazon Elite • Omega Pirate • Berserker Knight • Berserker Lord|
|Phazon Metroids||Class I Energy Harvester • Tallon Metroid • Hunter Metroid • Fission Metroid • Miniroid • Phazon Metroid • Hopping Metroid • Metroid Hatcher|
|Leviathan Core Guardians||Metroid Prime • Emperor Ing • Mogenar • Helios • Omega Ridley|
|Born of Phazon||Phaazoid • Red Phaazoid • Ing • Dark Samus|