A Metroid Hatcher.
|Featured in||Metroid Prime 3: Corruption|
|Location||Aurora Chamber (G.F.S. Valhalla)|
Metroid Creche (Pirate Homeworld)
Generator B (Norion)
|Weakness||Tentacles, Nova Beam/X-Ray Visor combo|
|Life Cycle||Preceded by: Phazon Metroid|
Followed by: Unknown
|Stage||Stage 3: Paternal|
The Metroid Hatcher's membrane is protected by a Phazite-like shell; however, the same does not apply to its tentacles. If the tentacles are harmed enough, they will retract into the Metroid Hatcher's shell, at which point it will begin spawning Phazon Metroids from its mouth and violently spinning around the room. Before it does so, however, its mouth is vulnerable; if it is attacked enough, it will become stunned, allowing one of its tentacles to be ripped off with the Grapple Lasso. Ripping off all four tentacles will defeat it. The Hatcher can spin while any number of the tentacles are remaining, and can also use them to drain Samus' energy much like a Hunter Metroid.
During battle, the Metroid Hatcher has two stages: first it will have all four tentacles extended and attack Samus with them. It will also perform a spinning attack, which is the time when Samus must attack it. While it is spinning, Samus must hit it with a Screw Attack, which will cause it to draw in one of its tentacles. She must do this four times, until all the tentacles are withdrawn and the Hatcher enters its second stage. Also note that she must hit the Hatcher with the Screw Attack while it is spinning because once it stops, the Hatcher's Phazite armor will stop Samus before she can hit the tentacles. The Hatcher will then start spawning Phazon Metroids from its mouth when all tentacles are withdrawn. Its mouth will be open to do this, so Samus can take the opportunity to attack it during this stage. Once it is damaged enough, the Hatcher will be stunned and Samus can pull of one of its tentacles. Then the Hatcher will go back to stage one and must be attacked in the same way, except now it only needs to withdraw one less tentacle than before, so Samus only needs to hit it one less time than before to make it enter its second stage. Once all four tentacles are gone, the Hatcher will die.
Metroid Hatchers are fought at three locations: in the Metroid Creche on the Space Pirate Homeworld, in the Aurora Chamber on the Valhalla, and in Generator B on Norion. The one in the Generator B lives in a corrupted area, and can be fully healed by the Phazon in it.
Once Samus had received both the X-Ray Visor and the Nova Beam, she can hit a Metroid Hatcher in its weak spot by locking on and aim for the Hatcher's heart, which glows red and yellow in the X-Ray Visor, and destroy it with a single, anticlimactic hit. All three Hatchers can be killed this way. This is the second Metroid Prime Boss that can be killed in one shot, although it is the only one without cheating. The other is the Parasite Queen, that can be killed in one hit with the Phazon Beam, which cannot normally be used until the endgame.
- The Metroid Hatcher is the first and only boss that can be killed in one shot without any cheating involved.
- As mentioned above, Metroid Hatchers are capable of spawning Phazon Metroids. It is possible that Miniroids are constantly created and fed within the Hatcher, and are periodically released as the infants reach their mature stage. Interestingly, though, there is no sign of either Miniroids or Phazon Metroids inside the Metroid Hatchers when Samus uses the X-Ray Visor on them.
- Metroid Hatcher's are the only known species of Metroid to possess a heart.
- Ilya Nazarov designed and modeled the Metroid Hatcher.
- The Hatcher's body somewhat resembles a Leviathan, but the tentacles, as well as the creature's movement patterns and attacks, are directly reminiscent of the Hunter Metroid. The tentacles are also shared with early Metroid art in the original game and the Nintendo Comics System.
- All three Metroid Hatchers can be ignored or skipped completely on a fast run: The wing containing Generator B on Norion is a completely optional area, so the Hatcher there can be ignored completely (however, this Hatcher must be defeated if the player wishes to obtain all 9 Energy Cells); the same goes for the one on the Pirate Homeworld, since it's only necessary to destroy it to retrieve an Energy Tank and unlock a shortcut. The Hatcher in the Aurora Chamber on the Valhalla is automatically encountered after restoring power to the room's systems (by using 2 Energy Cells); however, it can be avoided by simply running to the upper exit of the room (doing this will cause the Hatcher to wait by the upper doorway until the player returns, when it can again be avoided by heading directly to the lower door).
- Though rare, it seems that defeating the Metroid Hatcher at the moment that it latches onto Samus can cause a glitch where the game doesn't know that the Hatcher is dead and assumes that it is still latched onto Samus. The message to shake the Wii Remote and Nunchuk does not go away. This prevents the player from being able to continue and forces the player to restart the game.
|Natural Life Cycle|| |
|Zebes Metroids|| |
|Tallon IV Metroids|
|Aether Metroids|| |
|Phazon Metroids|| |
|Cocoons and Eggs|| |
|Artificial Metroids|| |
|Metroid Hybrids|| |
|Specific Metroids|| |
|Metroid Technologies|| |
|Native to Phaaze||Leviathan • Leviathan womb • Leviathan Infant • Phazon Core • Phaz-Ing • Jelsac • Liquid Phazon • Phazon Grub • Phazon Leech • Phazon Fungus • Phazon tendril • Phazon Vine • Glow Stem • Aazelion • Tangle Weed • Massive Tentacle • Parasitic fungus • Fungus • ULF 11 • ULF 12 • ULF 14 • ULF 17 • ULF 36 • ULF 49|
|Corrupted Creatures||Phazon Hopper • Phazon Nightbarb • Phazon Shriekbat • Phazon Puffer • Phazon Pillbug|
|Space Pirates||Aurora Unit 313 • Elite Pirate • Phazon Elite • Omega Pirate • Berserker Knight • Berserker Lord|
|Phazon Metroids||Class I Energy Harvester • Tallon Metroid • Hunter Metroid • Fission Metroid • Miniroid • Phazon Metroid • Hopping Metroid • Metroid Hatcher|
|Leviathan Core Guardians||Metroid Prime • Emperor Ing • Mogenar • Helios • Omega Ridley|
|Born of Phazon||Phaazoid • Red Phaazoid • Ing • Dark Samus|