|This article is written from the Real Life point of view|
|“|| I am finishing up making Metroid Prime 3 for the Wii right now. It is the final installment of the FPS/A series(First Person Shooter/Adventure).
We have it tuned so it is nearly as easy as a Mouse/Key combo with the added benefit of being able to sit on your couch and play. Each developer is probably going to have a different take on it until we decide on the "Best Feeling" solution.
We take it a bit farther than a mouse keyboard can, though. For instance, you can walk up to a handle and using the movement of the controller twist and pull it into position to activate something. Your hand movement mirrors the movement of the Wii controller.
Mike Wikan was the Senior Game Designer at Retro Studios. Wikan appeared in the Developer's Voice feature promoting the Metroid Prime Trilogy. He is currently working for Booz Allen Hamilton and lives near Austin, Texas.
Wikan first entered into the world of video game development in 1993, when he began work as Concept Artist for n-Space, later moving into the role of Lead Game Designer. He worked there until 1997, when he left and joined Accolade, working as Lead Game Designer, and continued work there until 2000, when he left to join Retro Studios. In 2011, Wikan left Retro Studios to work at id Software. He has since left and is working as the creative director at Booz Allen Hamilton in San Antonio Texas. He regularly speaks at conferences dealing with innovative and experiential technologies, most recently at xTech in San Francisco, California.
These are the games Mike Wikan has been credited in:
- Tigershark (1997), GT Interactive Software Corp.
- Duke Nukem Time To Kill (1999) GT Interactive Software Corp.
- Slave Zero (2000), Infogrames Europe SA
- Metroid Prime (2002), Nintendo of America Inc.
- Metroid Prime 2: Echoes (2004), Nintendo of America Inc.
- Metroid Prime 3: Corruption (2007), Nintendo of America Inc.
- Metroid Prime Trilogy (2009), Nintendo of America Inc.
- Donkey Kong Country Returns (2010), Nintendo of America, Inc.
- Never Alone (2014), E-Line Media.