The Missile Counter is a staple feature of the Heads-Up Display in all Metroid games. Its location on the HUD is usually near the top left or on the right in the Prime series, except in Metroid Prime 3: Corruption, where it is moved to the bottom right. It is usually accompanied by an icon representing a Missile. The Counter displays the number of Missiles that Samus is carrying, which drops as she uses them. In most games, the Counter gives warnings when Samus's Missile reserves are low and/or empty. Metroid Prime features an actual meter akin to the Energy Meter on the right, which drains as Samus fires Missiles. Samus must collect Missile Ammo, use Missile Stations or save at her Gunship to keep her Missile reserves stocked.
Super Metroid and Metroid: Zero Mission also feature counters for Super Missiles. In the 3-D games and Metroid Fusion, the Super Missile is an upgrade to the Missile and relies on normal Missile ammunition.
Metroid II: Return of SamusEdit
- "The number of Missiles that Samus has."
"Number of missiles Samus is carrying. If this number is 0, Samus cannot fire missiles."
- Missile Reserves
- "The vertical gauge and numeric display track the number of Missiles Samus has in reserve. When Samus's Missiles are armed, this display glows more brightly."
Metroid: Zero MissionEdit
- "This shows how many Missiles Samus is carrying. If this number is zero, Samus cannot fire Missiles."
"This numeric display tracks the number of Missiles Samus has in reserve. When Samus's Missiles are armed, this display will glow brighter."
- Missile Icon
- "Tap here to switch your weapon to the Missile. The top number indicates remaining ammo, and the bottom number indicates maximum ammo."
- Missile count
- "Current missile count/Max missile count."
- The first Metroid: Other M trailer featured a Missile count that read "3/25" at the top of the "Coming Soon" screen. This led some fans to believe that 3/25 (March 25, 2010) was the game's release date. This proved untrue, as its ultimate release date was August 31st.
| Targeting Reticule | Threat Assessment | Radar | Map | Energy Meter | Phazon level | "Heart Monitor"|
Translator Module | Screen-Shot Tool | Sight Window | Scan Point | Infrared Ray Scope
Charge Meter | Missile Counter | Ammo Gauge | Visor Select | Command Icon | Hover Gauge