Mumbo is a species on SR388. It flies with the same pattern and rate as the Pincher Fly, but it causes slightly more damage to Samus Aran through physical contact. It is an enemy encountered in Metroid II: Return of Samus and Metroid: Samus Returns. In the latter, it is now a swarming creature that can overwhelm Samus, and inhabits superheated rooms in Areas 3 and 4.
- Metroid II manual
- "This enemy flies in the air."
- Inhabitants & Eco System of SR388 (p. 19)
- "You don’t encounter Mumbo swarms often, but in those rare instances, expect to find them in lava-filled rooms. They don’t offer much in the way of threats and can be easily disposed of, but that doesn’t mean you should ignore them. They often fly in a path that crosses right into yours."
- Oddly, the Mumbo's face rather resembles Samus' helmet.
- It is unknown if they became X Parasite hosts, as Samus did not encounter any Mumbo-X in Metroid Fusion.