|“||Samus. The wavelength of that monster's cry is driving the other creatures into a frenzy - they've grown markedly more aggressive. It appears to be hiding in Sector 3 now. If you run into that thing, hit it with your Plasma Beam. You've got to take it down!||„|
Ridley's second form takes the appearance of a large, purple, lizard-like creature with white feathers sprouting from its back. The creature uses its long, muscular legs to dart around with great speed and force. Sharp talons tip the ends of the creature's feet, coupled with a long, segmented tail that serves both to provide the creature balance and as a weapon; it is tipped with a sharp blade-like growth which can be used to strike and impale enemy targets.
The hardy skin of the Mystery Creature deflects certain projectiles like bullets with ease. Green extremities appear on the skin of the face, shoulders and limbs, where the hide appears to be toughest. Areas which are especially vulnerable to attack are the mouth, the tip of the tail, and underside, where the skin is weakest. Strange growths at the top of the shoulders appear to be vestigial wings, although as the adult Ridley possesses fully functional wings, they could be the emergence of these rather than their remains.
The skull of the creature is long and narrow, and the jaw is embedded with razor-sharp teeth which are perfect for pinning down and ripping apart prey. Large, orange eyes are located near the front of the skull, where most predatory creatures' eyes are. It seems to possess a great deal of flexibilty and can swivel a great deal, enabling it to see at angles which would not normally be possible if facing a certain direction. Translucent eyelids also enable the creature to see while blinking, to allow vision of foes at all times. Finally, an unusually long tongue situated between the teeth often hangs out of the mouth, seemingly to allow the creature to "taste" scents in a manner similar to terrestrial snakes.
Samus sees the creature attacking the 07th Platoon in the Biosphere Test Area from the Exam Center and runs to save them. However, when Samus arrives, the creature seems to be waiting specifically for her, hiding out of Samus' view on the wall of the building above the door she comes through, and ambushes her. It pins Samus down and attacks her with its tail and sharp teeth. The soldiers try to help her, but they are distracted by swarms of enemies including Reos and Griptians. Samus attacks the lizard's tail as it attempts to strike her head. Eventually Anthony Higgs fires a stream of plasma from his Plasma Gun at the creature, wounding and knocking it off Samus, causing the creature to go into convulsions for a few seconds. Anthony attempts to shoot at again, but it escapes by crashing through a wall which was disguised by the holographic scenery. Soon after the 07th Platoon finds Lyle Smithsonian's body ripped into shreds, Samus follows a trail of green ooze and finds the husk of the little white creature she encountered earlier, which implies that the Mystery Creature killed and ate Lyle's body after it molted from its previous form, helping it grow larger.
Samus is given orders to chase the monster, but finds only a trail of green blood. Adam instructs Samus to follow the creature to Sector 3, the Pyrosphere, though is shortly scheduled to hunt for Bottle Ships survivors in the Cryosphere, leaving the creature alone for now. Unfortunately during Samus' time in the arctic area, the beast's cries are causing the other creatures to become extremely aggressive.
Much later in the game, Samus sees the creature as an empty husk stuck to a wall above a door, its back ripped open from the inside. Samus continues through the room, where she thinks that she will encounter the next stage in the creature's life. Samus meets up with Anthony again, where he is trying to fight an unseen flying creature. Samus eventually obtains a clear view of the creature and realizes that the purple lizard (and its previous form), was Ridley all along.
It is most likely that Ridley's clone holds no memory of his predecessor and of his rivalry with Samus Aran. It is interesting to note that the the creature focused most of its attention on her during its earlier battle, though this can be seen as the monster perceiving her as the greater threat.
The battle with the Mystery Creature is interesting, because it is one of the few battles where Samus is locked in first person perspective, the others being a short moment while battling the Queen Metroid, and near the end of the game when Samus is battling MB and the Desbrachians. The Mystery Creature pins Samus down and attempts to stab her with its tail as well as occasionally biting at her head. To drive off the beast, Samus must shoot Missiles at its tail, the creature's only weak spot. This is somewhat difficult, as the Mystery Creature keeps the appendage in constant motion. After the tail takes significant damage, Anthony will blast the creature off Samus.
- The fact that the station's bioweapons (at the time presumably under MB's control) arrive to defend the Mystery Creature from Adam's soldiers indicates that Ridley was at that time either allied with the android or under her direct control as well.
- The Mystery Creature may have actually called forth the creatures itself; this would suggest that it possessed its own abilities to control/lead other life forms into battle (subsequently making Ridley a competent leader on a genetic level). This is also supported by Adam's claim that its roar was capable of "driving the other creatures into a frenzy".
- Using a SenseMove against the creature shows Samus merely throwing her body out of the creature's reach, due to the circumstances of the battle.
- Even in his infant and adolescent stages, Ridley displays signs of high intelligence. In his second form, he had prepared an ambush for Samus, (potentially) gave orders to other bioforms and knew when to fight or retreat in battle. After he was shot by Anthony, Ridley appeared ready to attack, until he noticed that Anthony could fire the weapon again, in which he quickly retreated.
- Ironically, in the battle with the Mystery Creature, the tail is the creature's only weakspot, while in all of Ridley's 2-D (excluding the original Metroid) and other 3-D appearances, it is one of his, or only, invulnerable spot(s). It's possible that this early vulnerability is the reason Ridley shields this area so thickly in his later stages.
- The creature's tail and back-growths heavily resemble the Xenomorphs from Alien, a series which inspired Metroid. This makes it one of a number of creatures in the Metroid series bearing some resemblance to Xenomorphs (ie: Berserker Lords). Ridley's original appearance in Metroid also heavily resembled a Xenomorph. Samus dodging its tail is similar to the shot that takes place during the climax of Aliens, when the queen attempts to stab Ripley with her tail.
- The way that Little birdie and this creature "molted" is also very similar to the way the Xenomorph transfers to the next stage of life. Facehuggers die after they have completed their part and live on as Chestbursters, which erupt from the body of a host. Similarly, the outwards bent rib-cages on both early forms of Ridley also suggest the creature emerged in this way, but from the back rather than the chest. Additionally, the Mystery Creature's husk is stuck to the wall, which is also a tactic Xenomorphs use to restrain chestburster hosts until the chestburster emerges.
- This creature seemed to have gone through an extreme growth spurt in a short amount of time after its molt, since its former shell is near a trail of green blood that leads to the corpse of Lyle Smithsonian in the same area where it battles Samus and the other members of the 07th Platoon. Additionally, the unlockable artwork of the Mystery Creature portrays a very small version of the lizard crawling out of the shell of Little birdie.
- If listened to closely, Ridley's usual theme can be heard under the music playing during the battle with the creature.
- It is interesting to note that after the credits, the Mystery Creature's husk is still left on the wall. It may be that the Galactic Federation saw no use in using the husk when they already have the body of the fully matured Ridley clone in their possession.
- ^ Name from Other M Prima Strategy Guide
|Bosses in the Metroid series|
|Metroid||Kraid • Ridley • Mother Brain|
|Metroid: Zero Mission|| King Worm • Mua • Kraid • Bug Larva • Kiru Giru • Imago • Ridley • Mother Brain • Ruins Test • Ridley Robot |
|Metroid II: Return of Samus||Alpha Metroid • Arachnus • Gamma Metroid • Zeta Metroid • Omega Metroid • Queen Metroid|
|Super Metroid||Torizo • Spore Spawn • Kraid • Crocomire • Phantoon • Botwoon • Draygon • Golden Torizo • Ridley • Big Metroid • Mother Brain|
|Metroid: Other M||Brug Mass • Fune and Namihe • Groganch • King Kihunter • Mystery Creature • Goyagma • RB176 Ferrocrusher • Rhedogian • Vorash • Ridley • Nightmare • Queen Metroid • MB • Phantoon|
|Metroid Fusion||Arachnus-X • Elephant Bird • Zazabi • Serris • B.O.X. Security Robot • Mega Core-X • Scientist • Yakuza • Nettori • Nightmare • Neo-Ridley • SA-X • Omega Metroid|
|See also: Bosses in Metroid Prime Series|
Little birdie • Mystery Creature • Neo-Ridley Ridley-2
Ultrathermal Flamestrike Projector
Vs. Meta Ridley/Meta Ridley • Omega Ridley