Norfair (ノルフェア Norufea) was an area on planet Zebes comprised of magma-filled caverns and tunnels, and was home to many heat-thriving creatures. Its extreme heat was so intense in many areas that Samus was unable to access most of Norfair's key points without protection from the Varia Suit upgrade. Even then, the pools of magma scattered throughout this region could still harm her until she acquired the Gravity Suit. Norfair was the deepest area of the Space Pirate fortress on Zebes. Besides Tourian, the lower part of Norfair was probably the most dangerous place on Zebes, as it was home to the lair of the Space Pirate commander Ridley. The only other area it connected to was Brinstar.
- Alcoon (Super Metroid only)
- Baristute (Metroid: Zero Mission only)
- Boyon (Super Metroid only)
- Bug Larva (Metroid: Zero Mission only)
- Cacatac (Super Metroid only)
- Fune (Super Metroid only)
- Kago (Super Metroid only)
- Magdollite (Super Metroid only)
- Polyp (Metroid/Metroid: Zero Mission only)
- Puyo (Super Metroid only)
- Red Space Pirate (Super Metroid only)
- Ripper II
- Silver Space Pirate (Super Metroid only)
- Tangle Vine (Metroid: Zero Mission only)
- Tripper (Super Metroid only)
- Winged Ripper (Metroid: Zero Mission only)
- Yapping Maw (Super Metroid only)
- Kiru Giru (Metroid: Zero Mission only)
- Ridley (Super Metroid only)
- Crocomire (boss, Super Metroid only, though his sprites appear in the Zero Mission code)
- 13 Missile Tanks
- 2 Super Missile Tanks
- 1 Energy Tank
- 1 Power Bomb Tank
- Ice Beam
- Wave Beam
- High Jump Boots
- Screw Attack
- 15 Missile Tanks
- 1 Super Missile Tank
- 4 Energy Tanks
- 3 Power Bomb Tanks
- 1 Reserve Tank
- Speed Booster
- Ice Beam
- Wave Beam
- High Jump Boots
- Screw Attack
- Grappling Beam
Music in NorfairEdit
- Norfair (Metroid and Metroid: Zero Mission)
- Norfair Hot Lava Area (Super Metroid)
- Lower Norfair (Super Metroid)
Norfair is a playable stage in the Wii title, Super Smash Bros. Brawl. Apart from the five main floating platforms, the stage emphasizes Norfair's hostile environment of the games by featuring a lake of lava below that periodically rises and falls to engulf it, creating a hazard for players who fall off. Walls of flowing lava can also appear from the sides, while waves of lava will come in from the back. During exceptionally large waves, a small safe room will appear that players must scramble into before the wave reaches them. The design for this safe room is similar to the many doors featured in the Metroid series and Super Metroid in particular.
Super Metroid manualEdit
"Norfair is deep below the surface of Zebes. The lava and heat prove to be too much for unprotected visitors."
Super Metroid Players' GuideEdit
- Zebes - A Visitor's Guide (page 13)
- "The volcanic denizen of the planet, Norfair's the hottest area in more ways than one. Samus needs full protection when visiting here."
- Norfair (page 40)
- "From the relatively cool areas of Crateria and Brinstar, Samus now faces a long, hard an extremely hot trek through the lava land of Norfair. She knows that her regular suit won't be enough to protect her from the sizzling heat - only the Varia suit will be good enough. Only when she has it can she travel to the very core of Zebes."
- "Norfair is a burning, lava ridden furnace deep in the bowels of Zebes. For this reason, much of the complex will be closed to you without the Varia suit and its heat resistant qualities. Not only that, but there's a further six special items: grappling beam, speed booster, hi-jump boots, screw attack, ice beam, and the wave beam.
- Naturally, with such valuable prizes on offer, there's a formidable army of creatures to battle, including the mighty Crocomire and the mightier Ridley, leader of the space pirates."
- Area B
- "Here's where Samus comes across the rather essential grappling beam. It's one of the most important items in the whole adventure, since, without it, she cannot negotiate many of the obstacles that Zebes throws at her. Samus needs to make good use of the various 'practice' areas that she'll come across."
- Area C
- "A plethora of secrets can be revealed in section C of Norfair. Samus needs to carefully explore every nook and cranny, utilising the power bombs to reveal these hidden treasures, be it a hidden statue or the opportunity to blow out the floor. Watch out for those nasties, though!"
- Area D
- "The adventure hots up for Samus as she travels through the fourth section of Norfair. Good use of the bombs and morphing ball are essential; she'll also be able to lay her hands on the Wave Beam later on, which will no doubt be of great advantage."
- Area E
- "As Samus continues through Norfair, she gets the feeling that Mother Brain is ever more aware of her existence. Too many traps; too many obstacles. She needs to call on all of her courage, all of her mettle and strength to survive the rigours of this furious furnace..."
- Area F
- "With the end of this firey section in sight, Samus must tread with great care, overcoming each obstacle with the utmost skill. Now is a time for heroics, but Samus is only too aware that the best heroines are live heroines, so no fancy stuff!"
Metroid: Zero Mission manualEdit
"This is a region of intense heat generated by subterranean magma."