Although Norion is a fairly-out-of-the-way planet, it is considered important enough to house the main Galactic Federation base for its area of space. Space Pirates attack Norion, and Samus, along with Rundas, Ghor, and Gandrayda, are sent to stop the Space Pirates.
There is a Galactic Federation base on the surface that houses three Fedtech Plasma Generators, three landing pads, and a large Control Tower that controls the orbital Defense Cannon. The base is crafted in Jovian Steel and mounted with a large planet defense system. Relatively advanced accommodations for the Marines stationed there can be inferred, as they are at least capable enough of protecting the remote planet, and they are among the first to test PED suits, highly experimental technology in itself. The orbital defense system was capable of just barely destroying the incoming Leviathan before it impacted (largely thanks to Samus Aran), which is something that the Chozo on Tallon IV and the Luminoth of Aether were seemingly unable to take success in for reasons unknown. It is possibly due to the Tallon IV Chozo's self-imposed lack of technology, and the Luminoth's peaceful existence, coupled with the lack of knowledge of the incoming calamity.
The area of Norion visited in Metroid Prime 3 is known as Sector Zero, and is home to the main anti-orbital weapon on the planet.
Near the beginning of the game, Samus is told to land on Norion at the Galactic Federation stronghold. A Pirate attack is taking place there. When Samus arrives, she is told by a Federation Marine that the pirates have disenganged the Orbital Defense System of Norion and that three generators A, B and C, must be brought back up. Soon after activating generator A, Samus receives a transmission from Admiral Dane that "something big is happening." A Leviathan seed is heading out of a wormhole for Norion. Samus must bring an Orbital Defense Cannon back online to stop the seed. When Samus walks into the elevator she meets up with the other Bounty Hunters. Right as the hunters are about to bring up the cannon, Dark Samus breaks into the control tower. Dark Samus releases a powerful burst of Phazon towards all of the hunters, rendering all of them unconscious immediately except for Samus, who musters the last of her strength to bring the cannon back online and destroy the seed before succumbing to her injuries as well. The shot by Dark Samus corrupts all of the hunters and makes them self-produce Phazon.
Norion has no known higher life forms excluding Human colonists and invading Space Pirates. Below are a list of creatures, characters and mechanisms on Norion.
- Aeromine (Space Pirate)
- Aurora Unit 486
- Berserker Knight (Space Pirate)
- Berserker Lord (Space Pirate)
- Crawlmine (Space Pirate)
- Crawltank (Space Pirate)
- Dark Samus
- Federation Marine
- Fleet Mechanic
- Hopping Metroid
- "Jolly Roger" Drone (Space Pirate, formerly Galactic Federation)
- Jumpmine (Space Pirate)
- Liquid Phazon
- Meta Ridley (Space Pirate)
- Metroid Hatcher
- PED Marine
- Phazon Metroid
- Pirate Aerotrooper (Space Pirate)
- Pirate Militia (Space Pirate)
- Pirate Trooper (Space Pirate)
- Ridley (Space Pirate)
- Space Pirate
- Space Pirate ATC (Space Pirate)
- Training Drone (E3 Demo only)
Metroid Prime 3: Corruption
Planet Norion - GFDF NN-088
Though located on the fringe of the Federation, the planet Norion is of great importance. The military maintains a strong presence in this sector, and the base on Norion is often the first line of defense against enemies of GF Space.
Originally a barren orb incapable of sustaining life, a sophisticated terraforming project designed by Aurora Unit 486 has turned Norion into a hardy forest world.
- Although in-game the area on Norion is rather small, it can be assumed the facility is much larger in reality as when Samus uses the lift, the floor here she lands on is 4, suggesting there might be a much larger complex to be explored below or above.
- When the N in front of Norion is removed, it spells out "Orion", a possible reference to the constellation.
- The coordinates used to arrive at Norion in the game's intro were ".0473, -3.43, 00.336".
- Unlike the other planets, Norion has only one removable Energy Cell. Also, it is the only planet Samus doesn't mandatorily need to revisit, unless she wants to obtain all pickups in the game.
- Norion is also the only planet that shows Samus operating her gunship while flying from one landing spot to another; the other planets only show her gunship flying through their skies.
- In the Metroid Prime Trilogy, the room Data Storage B contains codes which, when entered into Samus's Transmission console, reveal hidden messages from Prime's producers. The messages are present in the original version of Corruption, but there are no hints to them.
- During the cutscene of Samus's first arrival at Docking Hub Alpha, the prologue theme of the arrival at planet Aether plays from Metroid Prime 2: Echoes.
- When Samus first enters Norion, a cutscene is played of her ship entering the atmosphere. This is only one of two instances in which the cutscene is seen, the other being the arrival on Phaaze.
- The Defense Cannon and Fedtech Plasma Generators appear to harness planetary energy in a manner similar to Aether's Planetary Energy Controllers.
|Areas in Metroid Prime 3: Corruption|
(Cliffside • Thorn Jungle • Fire • Ice • Seed)
(SkyTown • East SkyTown • Seed)
(Command • Research • Mines • Seed)
|Planets visited in the Metroid Series|
|Other locations visited in the Metroid Series|
|Planets in the Metroid Series|
|Bilium | Oormine II | Tallon IV | Twin Tabula | Zebes|
|Alinos | Arcterra|
|Aether | Dark Aether|
|Federation Solar System|
|Bryyo | Elysia | Norion|
|Unknown Solar System|
a.k.a. Planet SN-883 or Urtraghus ("large booty")
|SR388's solar system|
|SR388 | "SR387"|
|Earth | Jupiter|
|Charybdis | Inteira | Scylla|
|Excelcion | Talvania | Bion|
|Outlaw | Maru | Agricultural world | Jatsuk | Ocean world |
Graveyard planet | Galactic ruins
| 2466 URSA | Bes III | Devon III | Daiban | Demon Planet | Degrade |
Jamoru | Jasdam | Jigrad | K-2L | Kankeh | Liberty
Mondreus | Naishii | Nest | RX 338 | Solairon 12 | Tivus | Vho