Area 1 (originally known as Phase 2) is an area of SR388 in Metroid II: Return of Samus and Metroid: Samus Returns. It is explored after the first Alpha Metroid on the Surface is defeated. After the dangerous liquid sinks, Samus can gain access to Area 1. This area is the first explored sector of SR388 to contain ruins of the Chozo settlement on the planet. It also seems to be organic, containing vegetation. In both SR388-set games, this area contains the Bombs, Spider Ball and Ice Beam, something Samus seemed to have forgotten to take with her on a mission to exterminate Metroids. In Samus Returns, this area contains a superheated room, which Samus cannot safely explore without the Varia Suit.
- Rock Icicle (Metroid II only)
- Chute Leech
- Needler (Metroid II only)
- Gawron (Metroid II only)
- Gravitt (Samus Returns only)
- Hornoad (Samus Returns only)
- Drivel (Samus Returns only)
- It is curious to note that while all areas of the planet below the Surface were blocked by dangerous liquid for a long time, there is still life throughout them.
- A rich diversity of enemies is fought here, alongside more Metroids. This may mean that Metroids and all other creatures on SR388 have adapted to live in air as well as submerged in acid.
|Areas of SR388|
|Surface | Area 1 | Area 2 | Area 3 | Area 4 | Area 5 | Area 6 | Area 7 | Area 8|