Area 1 (originally known as Phase 2) is an area of SR388 in Metroid II: Return of Samus and Metroid: Samus Returns. It is explored after the first Alpha Metroid on the Surface is defeated. After the dangerous liquid sinks, Samus can gain access to Area 1. This area is the first explored sector of SR388 to contain ruins of the Chozo settlement on the planet. It also seems to be organic, containing vegetation. In both SR388-set games, this area contains the Bombs, Spider Ball and Ice Beam, something Samus seemed to have forgotten to take with her on a mission to exterminate Metroids. In Samus Returns, this area contains a superheated room, which Samus cannot safely explore without the Varia Suit.
- Rock Icicle (Metroid II only)
- Chute Leech
- Needler (Metroid II only)
- Gawron (Metroid II only)
- Gravitt (Samus Returns only)
- Hornoad (Samus Returns only)
- Drivel (Samus Returns only)
- Gigadora (Samus Returns only)
- The reason that the area is full of enemy life despite being submerged in purple liquid for a long time is because the Chozo engineered it specifically to be harmful to non-native life who would enter SR388, but to not harm native life and instead put it into stasis. This is explained in Samus Returns.
- The theme that plays in this area in both Return of Samus and Samus Returns is called SR388 Underground. The theme is included as a track on the Samus Archives Sound Selection soundtrack.
|Areas of SR388|
|Surface | Area 1 | Area 2 | Area 3 | Area 4 | Area 5 | Area 6 | Area 7 | Area 8|