Phazon Metroids are a strain of mutated Metroids created from exposing the Tallon subspecies to massive amounts of Phazon energy. An infant organism known as a Miniroid can also develop into a Phazon Metroid when it matures. They are only featured in Metroid Prime 3: Corruption.
It shares several traits with the Metroid Prime creature.
The Phazon Metroid is similar in appearance to other Metroid larvae, with the differences being that a bony ridge splits their membrane down the middle, their talons longer and more pronounced, and they have what appears to be a vestigial fifth claw on the back. Phazon mutation has also given them a tiny mouth located on their underside that has a small ring of smaller teeth surrounding it. If one latches onto Samus, she must go into Morph Ball form and lay a Bomb to get it off. Unlike other breeds of the species, the Phazon Metroid have the strength to carry the Morph Ball into the air, limiting the effects of ill-timed Bombs and increasing their threat level. She can use the Hyper Ball as an alternative to escape their grip and possibly kill them if they remain long enough in close proximity. In addition to their other abilities, they can temporarily warp out of local spacetime, making them intangible. They'll often do this to avoid being frozen by an Ice Missile, since they share the Metroids' weakness to cold; they cannot do so, however, when preparing to fly at a victim. They also cannot turn intangible if Samus shoots at them with her beams, as they travel much quicker than a Missile, and Hypermode can be used to destroy them quickly and effectively. A semi-charged Hyper Beam will destroy a Phazon Metroid instantly. When a Phazon Metroid leeches energy, it does not increase in size like previous Metroid variants in the Prime games.
Their membranes have properties similar to Phazite, and cover a weak point that can be targeted with the X-Ray Visor and destroyed with the Nova Beam for a quick kill. Another unnatural trait the creatures possess is the capacity to fire a bolt of phazon energy that resembles an electric arc to engage foes at a distance, making them very dangerous opponents at long-range as well. These bolts can cause a Hypermode failure.
The Phazon Metroids appear mostly in Space Pirate areas and on Phaaze. They can also be spawned by a Metroid Hatcher. The creatures known as Hopping Metroids are most likely a higher form of Phazon Metroids, as they are described as Metroids radically mutated by Phazon.
Phazon Metroids seem to have the capacity to make hives, as seen on Phaaze where they constantly respawn from structures in the walls positively identifed as Metroid hives in scans.
- Zipline Station Delta
- Transit Tube A
- Research Pod Lift
- Xenoresearch A Lift
- Xenoresearch A
- Xenoresearch B Lift
- Xenoresearch B
- Transit Tube B
- Generator B
- Metroid Processing
- Metroid Creche
- Creche Transit
- Phazon Mine Entry
- Repair Bay
- Port Observation Deck
- Munitions Locker
- Aurora Chamber
- Control Room Access
- Cavern Beta
- Hatcher Tunnel
- Genesis Chamber
Morphology: Phazon Metroid
Can phase out of local timespace. Vulnerable to extreme cold.
Like all Metroids, great cold can immobilize the Phazon Metroid and leave it vulnerable to attacks. If the creature begins to feed, a concussive blast should be able to knock it away. Heavy exposure to Phazon energy has mutated this strain of Tallon Metroid. Subject can shift its body into a phased state, allowing it to ignore solid matter. The creature can emit bursts of Phazon energy, and will drain the life energy of its prey.
- When in the Xenoresearch Labs in SkyTown, and while the Phazon Metroids are still in their containers, one may notice that they have varying "personalities". While some will instantly go into attack position as Samus walks by their tanks, others merely chirp as they sway side to side or even simply ignore Samus.
- After acquiring the Seeker Missiles, some Metroids can be seen phasing through the walls to attack Samus, but then immediately rushing back.
- The back claws of a Phazon Metroid resemble the tips of the second legs on Metroid Prime's first form, but their overall appearance (their shape and nuclei) shares more similarities with the same creature's core essence, perhaps hinting at the possible connection between Phazon Metroids and Metroid Prime.
- The vague appearance of a humanoid face is possible to make out on the frontal membrane of the Metroid: eyes, a nose and possibly a mouth are visible. The Metroid Prime's first and second forms had humanoid faces as well.
- Another trait that Phazon Metroids share with the Metroid Prime's second form is the ability to phase out of the local timespace, becoming invulnerable to all weapons except those of Phazon origin. This same ability is theorized to have allowed an earlier form of Tallon IV's Metroid Prime access to the Impact Crater by phasing through the Chozo Temple's containment barrier. This theory, which further sheds light on the creature's origins, can be found here.
- Oddly enough, they ignore Space Pirates and vice versa when they're in the same room and attack Samus in tandem, unlike in Metroid Prime and Metroid Prime 2: Echoes. Most likely they were never scripted to encounter each other during programming, so no exceptional attacks occured.
- Phazon Metroids can possibly survive in space as seen in the Valhalla, in which the predators can be witnessed floating through space; some enter the ship while phasing out of local timespace. The mentioned creatures seen outside out of the ship may, however, be dead Metroids (as they show no movements) and those that enter into the vessel could be from adjacent rooms. However, it does not seem possible that the Metroids could have died outside the ship, as the Valhalla battle was mostly inside the ship and Metroids do not seem to require oxygen to survive. Further proof of this is in Metroid Fusion, where an Omega Metroid was in the hanger bay of the Biologic Space Laboratories research station with a broken door showing the vacuum of space, possibly having the room decompressing.
- Phazon Metroids on Phaaze are shown living within hives from which the creatures are constantly spawned. Also, an incredible amount of corrupted Metroid Eggs are present. The requirements necessary for a Phazon Metroid hive to be created were never revealed.
- They apparently are capable of destroying mechanical drones, as the trailer for the Valhalla level depicted a dispatched drone being swarmed by a flock of Phazon Metroids and latching on.
|Natural Life Cycle|| |
|Zebes Metroids|| |
|Tallon IV Metroids|
|Aether Metroids|| |
|Phazon Metroids|| |
|Cocoons and Eggs|| |
|Artificial Metroids|| |
|Metroid Hybrids|| |
|Specific Metroids|| |
|Metroid Technologies|| |
|Native to Phaaze|| Hyper Grapple blocker • Leviathan • Leviathan womb • Leviathan Infant • Phazon Core • Phaz-Ing • Jelsac • Liquid Phazon • Maw • Phazon Grub • Phazon Leech |
Phazon Fungus • Phazon tendril • Phazon vine • Glow Stem • Aazelion • Tangle Weed • Massive Tentacle • Parasitic fungus • Fungus • Protozoan • Seed platform
Missile Blocker • EyeballBlocker
|Corrupted Creatures||Phazon Hopper • Phazon Nightbarb • Phazon Shriekbat • Phazon Puffer • Phazon Pillbug|
|Space Pirates||Aurora Unit 313 • Elite Pirate • Phazon Elite • Omega Pirate • Berserker Knight • Berserker Lord|
|Phazon Metroids||Class I Energy Harvester • Tallon Metroid • Hunter Metroid • Fission Metroid • Miniroid • Phazon Metroid • Hopping Metroid • Metroid Hatcher|
|Leviathan Core Guardians||Metroid Prime • Emperor Ing • Mogenar • Helios • Omega Ridley|
|Born of Phazon||Phaazoid • Red Phaazoid • Ing • Dark Samus|
|Species|| Alimbic • Boost Guardian • Chozo (Ghost) • Craftsmen • Dark Pirate Commando • Darkling • Darkling Tentacle • Gorea • Ing (Hunter, Emperor, Warrior) |
Ingsphere Cache • Kralee • Leviathan • Luminoth • Metroid Prime (Core essence) • Phantoon • Warp Hound • Phazon Metroid
|Gateways||Alimbic Cannon • Artifact Temple • Interdimensional void • Portal • Stronghold Portal • Wormhole|
|Alternate Dimensions||Dark Aether • Infinity Void • The Locker • Oubliette • Stronghold Void|
|Other||Black fog • Dark Visor • Darkburst • Multidimensional Stealth Warship • Transdimensional energy • Transdimensional flux|