The Phazon Mines
|Environment||industrialized, quarry, Phazon, underground|
|Sub-Areas|| 3 Sub-areas:
|Bosses|| Elite Pirates|
|Key Items||2 Chozo Artifacts|
|Connected areas||By elevators: Tallon Overworld, Magmoor Caverns|
|Distinct features||Phazon in the lower levels|
The Phazon Mines are an area of Tallon IV, located southwest of the Tallon Overworld and south of the Magmoor Caverns. The Mines are the core of all Space Pirate activity on Tallon IV. As the name suggests, the Phazon Mines were created by the Pirates to mine Phazon, a valuable energy source for them. They also had many labs within the mines, and a few Metroid quarantines. The sky in this area is a hazy pink, suggesting the Pirates have heavily polluted this area.
In certain elevator shafts that lead deeper into the mines there are windows that show where one is in relation to the actual Impact Crater. The windows show that the mines are going deeper into the crust of Tallon IV and are going very near the Impact Crater.
Areas and main RoomsEdit
The Phazon Mines are clearly divided into three parts, named within the game as Level 1, Level 2, and Level 3.
The surface level mostly contains security areas and large mining machines. It is here that the Flamethrower is acquired. Several Space Pirate Bio-Imaging doors are placed here, indicating that this is the main HQ level.
Somewhat deeper; contains various labs and ventilation shafts.
It is in this level where the actual mining takes place; this level is mostly dark, and the mining shafts are only lit by Phazon-dwelling mushrooms. Level 3 is also where the Omega Pirate is held, within the Elite Quarters.
- Interestingly, the theme of the Phazon Mines from Prime plays in the Impact Crater table as well as the table based on the Phazon Mines in Metroid Prime Pinball.
- There is also a section of "Phazon Mines" on the Space Pirate Homeworld.
- The sky is apparently visible on the upper level, but an elevator locates the Phazon Mines at the bottom and the Magmoor Caverns at the top. It is remarkable that none of the magma ever seeps into any of the Phazon Mines, low as the mines are into the ground.
- Donkey Kong Country Returns, the first Retro Studios-developed non-Metroid Prime Trilogy game contains many references to the Phazon Mines in the cave levels; including the presence of objects resembling Phazon crystals and Saturnines, as well as minecarts that appear to have Phazon on them. Cranky Kong also wonders "just what is being mined in those mines".
- Through a series of sequence breaking, it's possible to go on top of the building in the Main Quarry before the Space Pirates attack. They'll remain still until they're attacked or Samus jumps onto the main floor.
|Areas of Tallon IV|
|Tallon Overworld | Chozo Ruins | Magmoor Caverns | Phendrana Drifts | Phazon Mines | Impact Crater|