|Research Lab Aether|
Looking from the middle level to the ground floor
|Notable features||Multiple walkways, force field, walkway accessible only by Morph Ball, Xenome Containment Units, computer terminals|
|Significance||Location of Energy Tank and an Missile Expansion, two Pirate Data entries, first encounter with Metroids in Metroid Prime|
|Enemies/wildlife||Space Pirates, Metroid, Shadow Pirates, Auto Defense Turrets, Metroid: Alpha Types|
Research Lab Aether is a room in Phendrana Drifts in Metroid Prime. It is a multi-level laboratory, containing many stasis tanks, panels, computers, crates and Space Pirates; walkways run between levels. At the top of the room, there are many orange Space Pirate panels to scan, and a Pirate Data scan is found at a computer terminal. The middle level, reached through the upper window with a Space Jump, contains crates and computers with another Pirate Data scan.
At the bottom of the room is a rectangle with many stasis tanks and one large one in the centre; the smaller of these can be destroyed with Missiles, and one contains an Energy Tank. There is an elevator to reach the upper levels of the room here, activated by scanning a panel. There are also two alcoves, one containing many computers with another two Pirate Data scans, and the other containing more crates and a door in the floor.
On the first visit, Samus starts at the top, where a Metroid is held in a stasis tank; this is introduced through a cutscene. To continue to the lower levels of the room, she must release the Metroid with a Missile, then destroy it; afterwards, approaching a far window causes a Space Pirate to jump through it, giving access to the rest of the room. Alternatively, she can scan the Metroid, and a cutscene will show it breaking out of stasis.
Before Thermal VisorEdit
With Thermal VisorEdit
- Energy Tank
- This is found on the lower floor in one of the stasis tanks. Samus must break it open with a Missile to obtain the Tank.
- Missile Expansion
- A Morph Ball path above the lower floor can be reached with a Space Jump from the walkway halfway up the room. Navigating this to its end without falling off yields the expansion.
- Metroid Studies
- "Initial transfer of Metroids to Tallon IV research facilities has been completed. Three were terminated in an incident at the landing site, but the others were pacified and transported safely. Initial Phazon infusion testing is under way. We are eager to observe the effects of Phazon on Metroids, especially their ability to absorb and process the energy give off by Phazon sources. Early research suggest a considerable growth in power and size. Whether the creatures will stay stable thereafter remains to be seen."
- "Metroid brain scan results in. Studies show accelerated activity in parietal lobe during hunting cycles above 10° centigrade."
- "Internal organs of Metroid seem to be limited to nucleonic absorption cells and massive energy reservoirs."
- "The hooked mandibles of the Metroid penetrate the skin of its prey and siphon pure life force energy."
- "Metroid containment fields appear 100% effective after adjustments. Temperatures below 10° centigrade will render Metroids docile."
- "Containment temperature stable at 3° centigrade. Environmental diagnostics satisfactory."
- Meta Ridley
- "The reconstruction of geoform 187, code-named Ridley, was recently completed. After his defeat on Zebes, Command ordered a number of metagenetic improvements for him. Though aggressive, we were able to implement these changes in a cycle. The metamorphosis was painful, but quite successful in the end. Early tests indicate a drastic increase in strength, mobility, and offensive capability. Cybernetic modules and armour plating have been added as well. We believe our creature, now called Meta Ridley, will become the mainstay of our security force, a job he will certainly relish."
- "Stasis tank B11B contaminated beyond acceptable safety standards. Removal Squad requested."
- "Phazon Infusion, Stage 6. Subject Metroid BR5497. Subject's mass at 180% of previous Phazon cycle. Increasing dosage by 4%."
- "Directive >> In the event of a Metroid attack, repel creature with Missiles set to maximum concussion."
- "All guards must use ice containment gear when transporting Metroids. This includes sedated specimens and those pronounced dead."
- Phazon Infusion
- "Confidence is high regarding Phazon applications. We know enough about Phazon now to begin combining it with Space Pirate DNA. The code name for this venture will be 'Project Helix'. Preliminary studies indicate that Phazon infusion could produce radical Pirate genomes. Benevolent mutation levels are high in current test subjects. Phazon madness is a concern, but refinements in the infusion process should reduce or neutralize the odds of mental degeneration."
- "As energy-based creatures, Metroids show immediate mass increases up on energy absorption."
- "Hunter Metroid ds is showing signs of increased instability and a heightened immunity to cold damping fields."
- "Motion near Hunter Metroid dg appears to trigger psychotic episodes. Personnel are to stay at least 3 meters away from stasis tank."
- "Metroids infused with Phazon Strain Vertigo are thriving. We feel they could be Class I Energy Harvesters if proper submission measures are employed."
- Empty Xenome Containment Unit
- "Empty stasis tank used for biological specimens. Latent radiation readings indicate extreme radioactive contamination."
- Elite Pirate remains
- "This tank holds the remains of experiment 7526. Conversion of Elite Pirate unsuccessful."
- "Stasis tank CO12 is contaminated beyond acceptable safety standards. Remove immediately."
- Metroid Forces
- "Studies of Metroid biology continue, though with limited progress. It seems likely that we will be much successful using the Metroids for our means rather than trying to reproduce their powers. If they could be adequately tamed, we would have no need of proper understanding of their metabolism. A small force of disciplined Metroids could wipe out entire armies, and once we find a way to shield them from cold-containment weapons, they will be invincible. Furthermore, if we could then harvest the energy they'd consumed, we would have a near limitless source of power at our disposal.
- "East Quarantine Cave has been secured. Specimen remains in the Quarantine area. All experiments have been suspended pending pacification of area."
- "Quarantine specimen exhibits highly aggressive behavior. Its body structure, composed of Phazon ore, appears nearly invulnerable. This has rendered our efforts to train and discipline subject useless."
- Metroid Morphology
- "Metroid dissection continues to produce more questions than answers. Our research teams have isolated the energy conduits that run from the invasive twin mandibles to the energy core in the creature's quadripartite nucleus, but the manner in which the Metroid actually extracts the life force from its pray remains an utter mystery. The victim does not lose blood or any other vital fluids, and yet the Metroid extracts energy; identifying this energy is our central problem. It takes no physical form, and yet without it, the victim dies. We will continue to research this matter, as the isolation of this life-giving essence could be the key to our ascendance.
- "Project Titan is suspended indefinitely. Security breaches resulting in massive casualties have occurred. Access is strictly prohibited until further notice."
"This High-Energy Lifeform is a Metroid: Alpha Type."
- Interestingly, the Metroid encountered here is kept in a stasis tank very similar to the Baby's on Ceres in Super Metroid.
- The 'Hunter Metroid ds' mentioned in the scan here could be referencing Metroid Prime Hunters for the Nintendo DS.
- This area shares its name with Aether, the planet where Metroid Prime 2: Echoes takes place.