|“||It's a place like Tourian, where we propagate and raise Metroids.||„|
Sector Zero (セクターZERO Sekutā Zero ) was a vastly unexplored area of the Galactic Federation's BOTTLE SHIP. Its entrance could be reached through an elevator in the Cryosphere. Samus never enters the sector itself due to its destruction at the hands of Adam.
Sector Zero contained Unfreezable Metroids, as well as MB's original body within the Section 4 Gravity Block. MB's new android body informed Samus of it while she was posing as Madeline Bergman. She sent Samus on her way to the sector, but intentionally withheld the crucial information concerning the Metroids' invulnerability to the Ice Beam in the hopes of eliminating her.
Upon Samus' arrival at the entrance, she is surprised by the sudden appearance of a Baby Metroid that triggers an emotional flashback of the last Metroid from SR388 that formed a bond with her. After some reflection, she ultimately decides to eliminate it, however Adam shoots her in the back and eliminates the infant himself just as it prepared to feed on the immobilized Samus.As she lies on the floor and loses the focus required to keep her Power Suit materialized, Adam takes the opportunity to divulge his knowledge about Sector Zero's Unfreezable Metroids, thus foiling MB's plan. He also reveals that, despite the threats waiting inside, he intends to sufficiently damage the sector's interior in order to trigger both its detachment from the BOTTLE SHIP and its self-destruct mechanism. Knowing Samus would either prevent him from carrying out his suicide mission or carry it out herself, he shot her earlier to stun her; he owes his successful killing of the Infant Metroid to the creature having yet developed its unfreezable trait.
Adam then proceeds into the main airlock. Moments later, Sector Zero begins to separate from the BOTTLE SHIP, and Samus escapes the vicinity before the rest of the entrance falls off. Exposure to the vacuum of space forces her to activate her Gravity Feature, thus helping her flee from the breaking portions before time runs out. Super Zebesians are present in the area to intervene as she escapes, likely sent by MB.
If Samus returns, a large indestructible hatch blocks the way prior to the detached sector. A sad music plays during these later visits, in reference to Adam's death.
- Base Sector Zero is a similarly named area explored on Norion, which also serves as the Galactic Federation Marine Corps' home base.
- MB's statement that Sector Zero is a "place like Tourian" has led to speculation that it was a faithful recreation of the Space Pirate base. The organization was known to have blueprints for a Tourian-like base at some point in the past. These blueprints, simply known as "Future Aurora Complex", are shown in the third of Metroid Prime 3: Corruption 's preview trailers.
- The Restricted Laboratory from Metroid Fusion plays a similar role to Sector Zero: Metroids were being raised, both stations had a fail-safe protocol leading to their detachment and destruction if they sustained too much damage, and both stations were detached and destroyed by individuals other than Samus.
- While Samus would normally be wearing her Paralyzer on her leg, the black Paralyzer holster is absent during the entire Sector Zero scene. It is possible that the developers overlooked this detail. This is supported by the fact that she has the Paralyzer holster if she dies after the Sector Zero cutscene.
- It appears that at least one unfreezable Metroid escaped from Sector Zero and made it into the Cryosphere, as evidenced by a dead Gigafraug in that area that exhibited signs of Metroid predation. Additionally, when Adam explains to Samus the existence of the modified creatures, a flashback to the dead Gigafraug is shown prior to the scene cutting to an unfreezable Metroid breaking its container.
- If Samus attempts to reach a detached section of the sector during the escape by Space Jumping, she will automatically fall into the abyss of space and cause a Game Over.
|Areas of the BOTTLE SHIP|
|Areas||Main Sector • Sector 1 / Biosphere • Sector 2 / Cryosphere • Sector 3 / Pyrosphere|
|Sub-Areas||Bioweapon Research Center • Experimental simulated desert area • Section 4 Gravity Block • Sector Zero|
|Rooms|| Main Sector: Spaceport • Bottle Ship Control Room • Bottle Ship Residential Area • Cargo Hold • Control Bridge • Main Elevator |
System Management room
Biosphere: Biological Experiment Floor • Experiment Floor 3 • Biosphere Test Area • Breeding Room • Exam Center
Observation Room • Scrap Block • Subterranean Control Room
Cryosphere: Experiment Floor • Materials Storehouse • Materials Transfer Lift • Water Tank • Nightmare's Room
Sector Generator Room
Pyrosphere: Blast Furnace Observation • Crater Interior • Desert Refinery • Environmental Test Floor
Floor Observation Room • Geothermal Power Plant
Bioweapon Research Center: Room MW