"Torizo" is a term used to refer to animated Chozo Statues. It is likely that these statues are the same kind spoken of in the Chozo Lore entry Statuary. The Torizo may be perceived as hostile Chozo or even their mechanical variants, but both ideas are simply misunderstandings.
There are three Torizo that appear in Super Metroid. The first one to be encountered is located in Crateria. It is dubbed "Bomb Torizo" because of the upgrade it is holding. At first, it appears to be a Chozo Statue, but upon acquiring the Bomb, the door becomes locked and the stone sheds from the Torizo before it rises, leading to the first boss battle. It attacks by spitting bombs and can swing its claws high enough to hit Samus if she tries to jump over it. It can also send yellow waves of energy by swinging its arms one after the other, requiring Samus to carefully dodge them, making it a difficult opponent.
The second Torizo is a golden variant found in Ridley's Lair. This one is stronger, faster, and more durable. As it receives damage, its golden appearance will become dull, indicating that it is almost defeated. The Gold Torizo is capable of dodging missiles and grabbing and throwing super missiles back at Samus. The most effective method for dispatching this Torizo is by using charged shots.
"Aim for Torizo's abdomen when battling him and use Super Missiles."
- There is a boss in Metroid Fusion called Nettori, which is seemingly an X-infected Torizo controlling the surrounding and chaotic vegetation. This further supports the theory that these statues contain organic properties.
- The Torizo may be a Chozo guard.
- A Torizo can also be seen walking around the Planet Zebes: Brinstar of Super Smash Bros. Melee, Super Smash Bros. Brawl and for Nintendo 3DS. It immobilizes itself once in a while and takes the pose of a classic Chozo Statue.
- The first Torizo battle can be skipped if Arm pumping is properly performed.
- The wall where the first Torizo was situated can be destroyed with the Hyper Beam during Samus' escape, allowing the Etecoons and Dachora(s) access to an unseen ship, leading to their escape from Zebes.
- There is a glitch known as the Golden Torizo code, where a certain number of buttons are pressed before entering the Golden Torizo's room, gifting all upgrades to Samus.
- The Chozo spirit known as the Ruins Test may somewhat be a special kind of Torizo, as the ghost emerged from a mural depicting an armored Chozo to battle Samus Aran.
|Bosses in the Metroid series|
|Metroid||Kraid • Ridley • Mother Brain|
|Metroid: Zero Mission|| King Worm • Mua • Kraid • Kiru Giru • Imago • Ridley • Mother Brain • Ruins Test • Ridley Robot |
|Metroid II: Return of Samus||Alpha Metroid • Arachnus • Gamma Metroid • Zeta Metroid • Omega Metroid • Queen Metroid|
|Super Metroid||Torizo • Spore Spawn • Kraid • Crocomire • Phantoon • Botwoon • Draygon • Golden Torizo • Ridley • Big Metroid • Mother Brain|
|Metroid: Other M||Brug Mass • Fune and Namihe • Groganch • King Kihunter • Mystery Creature • Goyagma • RB176 Ferrocrusher • Rhedogian • Vorash • Ridley • Nightmare • Queen Metroid • MB • Phantoon|
|Metroid Fusion||Arachnus-X • Elephant Bird • Zazabi • Serris • B.O.X. Security Robot • Mega Core-X • Scientist • Yakuza • Nettori • Nightmare • Neo-Ridley • SA-X • Omega Metroid|
|See also: Bosses in Metroid Prime Series|
|Helpful||Artifact Temple • Chozo Statue (Elder) • Chozo Totem • Cipher • Item Sphere • Luminoth Statue|
|Bryyonian Golems||Ceremonial Golem • Colossal War Golem • Bryyonian Labor Golem • Mogenar-class War Golem|
|Hostile||Elephant Bird • Golden Torizo • Mogenar • Torizo|
|Obstacles/Scenery||File BY-550 • Golden Statues • Koma • "Lair Entrance Statue" • Stone Statues|
|Depictions|| Amorbis • B-Stz • C-Pul • Chozo Searcher • Chozo architect • Chozo philosopher • Chozo Shaman • Chozo warrior • D-Chr • De'la • Dryn • E-Btr • J-Gnk |
K-Tch • N'ge • Ou-Qua • Q-Cis • V-Mos • X-Qar
|Guardian | Torizo (Golden) | MB | Steambot (Tinbot) | Hunters | Mecha Samus|
|Food, Nourishment and Sustenance|
|Plants||Blueroot Tree • Fruit • Red Starburst • Sap Sac|
|Species||Geruta • Embers • Kiru Giru • Pirate Militia • Reo • Ripper • Sciser • Scritter • Skree • Space Pirate • Tallon Crab • Torizo • X Parasite • Zoomer|
|Specific Humans||Samus Aran • Virginia Aran|
|Carrion||"Deceased Soldier" • Amok Mommy|
|Liquid||Lava • Phazon|
|Artificial/Misc.||Elite Nutrient Mix • Energy • Nutrient-grade biomatter • Wrecked Ship|