"Torizo" (Japanese: 鳥人像 (Chou-jin-zou)) is a term used to refer to animated Chozo Statues. It is likely that these statues are the same kind spoken of in the Chozo Lore entry Statuary. The Torizo may be perceived as hostile Chozo or even their mechanical variants, but both ideas are simply misunderstandings.
There are three Torizo that appear in Super Metroid. The first one to be encountered is located in Crateria. It is dubbed the "Bomb Torizo" because of the upgrade it is holding. At first, it appears to be a normal Chozo Statue, but upon acquiring the Bomb, the door becomes locked and the Torizo rises, shedding its stone shell and leading to the second boss battle, the first one where you can win. It attacks by spitting bombs and can swing its claws high enough to hit Samus if she tries to jump over it. It can also send yellow waves of energy by swinging its arms one after the other, requiring Samus to carefully dodge them and making it a difficult opponent.
The second Torizo is a golden variant found in Ridley's Lair. This one is stronger, faster, and more durable. As it receives damage, its golden appearance will become increasingly dull, indicating that it is almost defeated. The Gold Torizo is capable of dodging missiles, and will even catch and throw super missiles back at Samus. The most effective method for dispatching this Torizo is by using charged shots.
The husk of the third Torizo is found in the rebuilt Tourian, as one of many creatures that fell prey to the Giant Metroid. The slightest touch will cause it to crumble to a pile of dust. How this Chozo relic came to end up in a Space Pirate-created facility remains unknown, though it was likely transferred their for study or may have been under Mother Brain's control as she was originally created by the Chozo.
|Color||HP||ATK||E||BE||M||SM||PB||Aim for Torizo's abdomen when battling him and use Super Missiles.|
- There is a boss in Metroid Fusion called Nettori, which seems to be an X-infected Torizo controlling the surrounding and chaotic vegetation. This further supports the theory that these statues contain organic properties.
- A Torizo can also be seen walking around the Planet Zebes: Brinstar of Super Smash Bros. Melee, Super Smash Bros. Brawl and Super Smash Bros. for Nintendo 3DS. It immobilizes itself once in a while and takes the pose of a classic Chozo Statue.
- The first Torizo battle can be skipped if Arm pumping is properly performed.
- The wall where the first Torizo was situated can be destroyed with the Hyper Beam during Samus' escape, allowing the Etecoons and Dachora(s) access to an unseen ship, leading to their escape from Zebes.
- There is a glitch known as the Golden Torizo code, where a certain number of buttons are pressed before entering the Golden Torizo's room, gifting all upgrades to Samus.
- The Super Metroid Nintendo Player's Guide says "Torizo and Chozo basically mean the same thing", but this is incorrect. The Japanese name for Torizo is 鳥人像 (Chou-jin-zou), which literally means "bird-person-statue", whereas Chozo is 鳥人族 (Chou-jin-zoku), which literally means "bird-person-tribe".
|Helpful|| Artifact Temple • Chozo Statue (Elder) • Chozo Totem • Cipher • Item Sphere • Luminoth Statue |
|Bryyonian Golems|| Ceremonial Golem • Colossal War Golem • Bryyonian Labor Golem • Mogenar-class War Golem |
|Hostile||Elephant Bird • Golden Torizo • Mogenar • Torizo|
|Obstacles/Scenery||File BY-550 • Golden Statues • Koma • "Lair Entrance Statue" • Red Eye Statue • Stone Statues|
|Depictions|| Amorbis • B-Stz • C-Pul • Chozo Searcher • Chozo architect • Chozo philosopher • Chozo Shaman |
Chozo warrior • D-Chr • De'la • Dryn • E-Btr • J-Gnk • K-Tch • N'ge • Ou-Qua • Q-Cis • V-Mos • X-Qar
|Guardian | Torizo (Golden) | MB | Steambot (Tinbot) | Hunters | Mecha Samus|
|Food, Nourishment and Sustenance|
|Plants||Blueroot Tree • Fruit • Red Starburst • Sap Sac|
|Species||Geruta • Embers • Kiru Giru • Pirate Militia • Reo • Ripper • Sciser • Scritter • Skree • Space Pirate • Tallon Crab • Torizo • X Parasite • Zoomer|
|Specific Humans||Samus Aran • Virginia Aran|
|Carrion||"Deceased Soldier" • Amok Mommy|
|Liquid||Lava • Phazon|
|Artificial/Misc.||Elite Nutrient Mix • Energy • Nutrient-grade biomatter • Synthetic Metroid rations • Wrecked Ship|