Unidentified Miscellaneous Subject 8 is a corpse seen outside Kraid's room in Super Metroid. It rather resembles a Federation Marine (though the shoulders seem to be similar to Weavel's) and appears to be leaking a yellow liquid (possibly yellow blood or a result of decomposition. The liquid also looks similar to the attacks fired by the nearby Gadora, possibly indicating cause of death). Sbugs can be seen feeding on the corpse, and they will scatter when Samus comes near. This body's purpose is unknown and has prompted much speculation as to who it is and why it is there. It may have been killed by Kraid or the Gadora right next to it, as it looks like in death it was thrown back against the short wall, indicating that something from the direction of the Gadora killed it.
In the code of Super Metroid, the corpse is a set of five tiles.
- The corpse is notable for being the location that Samus can encounter the Sbugs over and over, as opposed to them not returning after scattering. The meal is apparently too good for this swarm of Sbugs to pass up for long.
- If the yellow substance found pouring out of the body is indeed blood, then it is possible that this is because his species possesses a high concentration of vanabin in their blood, which is a yellow, vanadium-based pigment, like Earth's sea cucumbers possess. If this happens to be so, however, then it is likely not involved in oxygen transportation and may instead indicate a natural toxicity.
- Another potential blood type would be iridium-based blood. However, this would indicate that there is a lack of oxygen in the room and therefore unlikely (although the yellow "blood" does appear as a more orangish tint than Samus' Power Suit coloration). Also, the dead individual would have had to have died within days as iridium-based blood would be highly photosensitive and would degrade from orange (its oxygenated color) to green before finally reaching a deep bluish-black. As the compound would take one atom of oxygen per molecule to change from its deoxygenated yellow state to a sullen orange, the reaction is not quite as quickly as, say, cobalt complexes, thereby meaning the corpse would have to possess a more convoluted lung system than any Human would be accustomed to.
- The yellow fluid may also be some form of residue from the Gadora's attack - the exact composition of the projectiles the creatures produce is unknown.
- This body may be a homage to the infamous Space Jockey from the original Alien film, the series which inspired Metroid greatly.
|Unidentified Celestial Bodies||UCB 1|
|Unidentified Life Forms|| ULF 2 • ULF 11 • ULF 12 |
ULF 14 • ULF 16 • ULF 17 • ULF 18 • ULF 19
ULF 22 • ULF 23 • ULF 30 • ULF 31 • ULF 36
ULF 38 • ULF 40 • ULF 41 • ULF 43 • ULF 44
ULF 47 • ULF 48 • ULF 49 • ULF 67 • ULF 68
ULF 70 • ULF 71 • ULF 74
|Unidentified Miscellaneous Subjects|| UMS 8 • UMS 11 • UMS 12 • UMS 13 |
|Unidentified Artificial Mechanisms||UAM 1 • UAM 4 • UAM 5|
|Unidentified Substances||US 1 • US 4|
|Unidentified Sentient Races||USR 1 • USR 2 • USR 5 • USR 6|
|Edit this template|