Visors are items that appear throughout the Prime Series. Visors are used and collected by Samus Aran, and are often essential for progression in certain missions. The X-Ray Scope was the first visor that appeared in Super Metroid. Metroid: Other M implements the Search View maneuver, which switches to a first-person mode when the Wii Remote is aimed at the screen. In the Metroid Prime series the various visors were created by Danny Richardson.
A Visor is a technology designed to assist users in various situations. Visors are displays used in the "visor" section of a helmet, or in other forms of optical technology. The visor displays data and aids users in operations. The Scan Visor for example, is used by Samus to access information on creatures and objects, allowing her to understand enemy weak points, or the status of a device. Using the Scan Visor to scan a terminal in Metroid Prime and Metroid Prime 2: Echoes is the only way to activate the elevators that transport Samus through the different "worlds."
Visors are a technology used by many races in the modern age. They have multiple functions, though are mainly for combat application. Many races develop their own Visors, and as they all serve different purposes, are extremely useful to Samus. Races known to have developed Visors are:
- The Chozo, who leave Visor systems on planets they once inhabited as gifts and rewards for warriors. The Chozo are considered to be one of the most technologically advanced races, and so their Visors are more advanced than others.
- The Luminoth, another highly advanced race. The Luminoth developed two known Visors for military purposes, the Dark and Echo Visors, to aid in the war between them and the Ing.
- The Space Pirates have also been known to create Visor systems for their use. The Pirates are known to steal technology from other races, so their Visor systems may not be entirely of their own creation.
Use by SamusEdit
Samus Aran often uses many different Visor systems to aid her in the field. Samus has also stolen the technology from the Pirates on two occasions. The modular nature of her Chozo Power Suit allows her to use Visor systems from almost any race (although in some cases it may not integrate as fluently as Visors of Chozo origin).
Samus always begins with her default visors, the Combat Visor and the Scan Visor, which are the only ones which appear in all four Prime games.
Below is a description of each Visor used and its functions.
- Combat Visor - This Visor provides Samus with basic displays for combat. It shows Samus' Missile count, caution meter, acquired beams and Visors, and also features a targeting system for handling enemies as well as a radar display that shows the location of all enemies in the room. This Visor is of Chozo origin.
- Scan Visor - The Scan Visor is a device used to uncover information on enemies, discover clues, and activate certain devices. Samus can scan Scan Points that appear in her Sight Window. This Visor is of Chozo origin.
- Thermal Visor - Displays a thermal image of the area in Samus' vision. Used for finding abnormal heat signatures, invisible or speedy enemies, and improved vision in dark areas (to some extent). This Visor is of Space Pirate origin.
- X-Ray Visor - Uses X-Rays to produce an image that helps Samus locate invisible or timespace-warping enemies and see behind walls. In its second appearance, it is used for targeting weak spots in Phazite armor, seeing behind walls, and revealing hidden codes. This Visor is of Chozo origin in the first appearance, and Space Pirate in the second.
- Dark Visor - This Visor pierces Dark Aether's haze, revealing hidden objects and improving targeting for some enemies. Used to spot inter-dimensional objects and creatures. This Visor is of Luminoth origin.
- Echo Visor - Creates an echolocation image to spot sound anomalies. The world is displayed mono-chromatically, with white ripples displaying sounds. Also improves clarity of environmental sounds. This Visor is of Luminoth Origin.
- Command Visor - Creates a green image and is used in conjunction with the Arm Cannon to command Samus' Gunship. Tasks include bombing runs, picking certain objects up, setting them back down, and landing. This Visor is of Chozo and Galactic Federation origin.
Metroid Prime manualEdit
"Samus's most important tool is her suit, and it can provide her with a wealth of information by interfacing with various visors. Samus will start the game with two--the standard Combat Visor and the Scan Visor--but eventually she'll use four, each of which can be accessed easily by pressing different directions on the + Control Pad."
- In the Wii versions of the Prime Series games, except the Metroid Prime version, the four lights on top of the Visor display the remaining battery life for the Wii remote in use. This is useful for quick reference on how much battery life is left without having to press the Home button.
- The names of the Dark and Echo Visors make a reference to the Japanese name of Prime 2: Metroid Prime 2: Dark Echoes.
| Combat Visor | Scan Visor | Thermal Visor | X-Ray Visor|
Dark Visor | Echo Visor | Command Visor
Hacker Mode | X-Ray Scope | Search View