|This is a featured article.|
After being instructed by Adam to follow a purple monster into Sector 3, Samus enters the main tunnel of the Pyrosphere, and notices a large creature jumping out of the lava. As she nears the end of the tunnel, the creature suddenly jumps out of the lava in an attempt to ingest Samus. She quickly uses her Sense Move to evade it, but the creature tore a hole in the tunnel, blocking her way back. If Samus fails to avoid the Vorash's jaws, it will be an instant Game Over as the creature will eat her.
After the incident, Samus is forced to enter the lower level of the tunnel room, exposing herself to the area's super-heated temperature, which slowly reduces her stamina. Samus attempts to cross via igneous platforms in the Lava, but is once again attacked by the Vorash, which follows Samus all the way to the end of the room, trying to catch her in its jaws repeatedly.
Much later, while Samus is again tracking the purple creature, Samus encounters and battles the Vorash in the Blast Furnace Observation. It leaps out of the lava, and Samus must Sense Move away from its boulder attacks. To damage it, she must fire at its eyes, then pull it onto the platform with the Grappling Beam, thanks to the pod it ate earlier lodged in its mouth. She can then damage its underside. After enough damage is taken, Vorash swallows the pod, forcing Samus to attack during its leaping or charging attacks to finish it off. Samus can also grapple onto the remaining grapple point, which causes Vorash to jump out of the lava. If timed correctly, Vorash will eat the grapple point and Samus can defeat it in the same manner as she fought it earlier. Upon its defeat, the creature sinks into the lava, and is never seen again.
Possible connection to other speciesEdit
Vorash rather resembles a Squeept, and could be a giant form of the leaping creature as no others of the normal variety are encountered in the game. The Vorash also has similar eyes to Crocomire. However, Vorash bears much more resemblance to the Scarp, a large, deceased bioform on the Pirate Homeworld akin to a fish. The resemblance is particularly in the head, however, the Scarp lacks a number of Vorash's features, such as the eyes, teeth, fins and tail.
- Vorash seems to have somewhat of a fixation on eating Samus. It first attacked her while she was running through a corridor almost as soon as she entered the Pyrosphere. It then chased her relentlessly when she made her way down into the lava pathway, diving out of the lava many times in an attempt to pull her into its jaws. When she returned to the Pyrosphere, the Vorash was anticipating her entry into the Furnace Observation and ate a Grapple Point that fell from a tunnel Samus was in, thinking it was her. Curiously, the Latin suffix -vore means "to eat".
- Vorash plays a similar role to Serris in Metroid Fusion.
- Vorash has many similarities to an extinct species called mosasaurs, such as the long tail, the way that it lives in a liquid, the fact that it is a carnivore, and the crocodile shaped head, making mosasaurs a possible source of inspiration for Vorash.
- The way Vorash is seen before the actual fight and the way it leaps from the lava is comparable to the large shark like creature that can be seen leaping from the sand in the Sand Ocean F-Zero GX tracks.
- The battle against the Vorash is similar to the battle against the Chykka Larva in Metroid Prime 2: Echoes.
- Vorash's theme can be heard here: .
"A large, fishlike monster that's more at home in an ocean of lava than underwater. Defeating it may seem like an impossible task at first, but Samus Aran knows how to persevere. By firing her Grapple Beam into its mouth, she pulls it out of the lava like a master angler, leaving it writhing helplessly on land."
|Bosses in the Metroid series|
|Metroid||Kraid • Ridley • Mother Brain|
|Metroid: Zero Mission|| King Worm • Mua • Kraid • Kiru Giru • Imago • Ridley • Mother Brain • Ruins Test • Ridley Robot |
|Metroid II: Return of Samus||Alpha Metroid • Arachnus • Gamma Metroid • Zeta Metroid • Omega Metroid • Queen Metroid|
|Super Metroid||Torizo • Spore Spawn • Kraid • Crocomire • Phantoon • Botwoon • Draygon • Golden Torizo • Ridley • Big Metroid • Mother Brain|
|Metroid: Other M||Brug Mass • Fune and Namihe • Groganch • King Kihunter • Mystery Creature • Goyagma • RB176 Ferrocrusher • Rhedogian • Vorash • Ridley • Nightmare • Queen Metroid • MB • Phantoon|
|Metroid Fusion||Arachnus-X • Elephant Bird • Zazabi • Serris • B.O.X. Security Robot • Mega Core-X • Scientist • Yakuza • Nettori • Nightmare • Neo-Ridley • SA-X • Omega Metroid|
|See also: Bosses in Metroid Prime Series|
|Carnivores|| Phazon tendril • Ridley • Vorash • Yapping Maw|
Plants: Bloodflower • Dark Phlogus • Samus Eater • Shrieker • Sporb • Tangle Vine • Tangle Weed • Venom Weed • Zazabi
|Detritivores||Grizby • Phazon Leech • Parasite (Plated/Ice/Queen) • Sbug|
|Insectivores||Bryyonian Shriekbat • Flickerbat • Gel Ray • Glowing spidervine • Ice Shriekbat|
|Omnivores||Green Kralee • Human • Ice Parasite • Little birdie • Space Pirate|