|“||It's definitely my X-ray scope. This scope allows me to reveal secret passages on the planet of Zebes. This planet has tons of hidden caves and I need to find these if I want to defeat the Mother Brain.||„|
The X-Ray Scope (Xレイスコープ Xrei Sukōpu) is an exclusive item found in Super Metroid. It allows Samus Aran to see hidden passages and reveal destructible blocks, a similar function to the Power Bombs used in Metroid Fusion and Metroid: Zero Mission. It is found in Brinstar. Note that the Scope will initially "freeze time", making all present movement halt. However, any countdown timers and game timers will continue running as the Scope is in effect.
Super Metroid manualEdit
"This item allows you to see hidden passages."
"The X-Ray beam eminates from the visor."
Super Metroid Players' GuideEdit
- Terminals (page 8)
- "A very useful piece of kit, this. When in use, it generates a beam allowing you to see any hidden passage on the current screen. To use the X-ray, you must be stationary. Highlight the icon with SELECT and hold [B]. You can now move the beam around via the pad. Location: Brinstar."
There is a glitch which allows Samus to make 'clones'. First, she must have the item before the X-Ray Scope is equipped (usually the Power Bombs or the Grapple Beam). Then, using the Speed Booster, Samus must run until she starts to glow and then clones of Samus will appear behind her. Once that happens, she can switch to the X-Ray Scope and the sprites behind Samus will follow her every movement until she lets go of the button.
- In the Super Metroid manga story Peeping, Samus accidentally sees two Etecoons engaging in foreplay using the X-Ray Scope.
- The X-Ray Scope is the precursor to the X-Ray Visor of the Prime Series. Chronologically, however, the X-Ray Visors were the first to be acquired by Samus.
- Its function is also very similar to the Scan Visor as they are both used to identify destructible objects.
- The X-Ray Scope is one of three items in Super Metroid that is not used in Metroid: Other M, the other two being the Spazer Beam and High Jump Boots. The Search View feature in the game serves a similar role as the scope, however.
- The X-Ray Scope is achieved through means of Mode 7 scaled rotation. That is why hidden objects are revealed through layering and some ambient items like hanging plants, bushes, and rocks disappear because they are non-solid object layers.
| Combat Visor | Scan Visor | Thermal Visor | X-Ray Visor|
Dark Visor | Echo Visor | Command Visor
Hacker Mode | X-Ray Scope | Search View