|This article is written from the Real Life point of view|
Sakamoto redirects here. Akiya Sakamoto is also a developer at Nintendo.
Yoshio Sakamoto (坂本 賀勇 Sakamoto Yoshio, born July 23, 1959) is a Japanese game designer who works for Nintendo. He is the co-creator of the Metroid series having worked as director, scenario designer, or script writer for many of the titles.
Sakamoto grew up with Nintendo toys, which he noted to be inventive and occasionally "strange". The company hired him in 1982 when he came out of art college. Recruited by Shigeru Miyamoto, his first position was as designer on the team behind Donkey Kong Jr. He turned to the Nintendo Entertainment System afterward, helping design Kid Icarus and directing Metroid, both 1986.
Following the original Metroid, Sakamoto has directed all Metroid games produced internally by Nintendo except Metroid II: Return of Samus. These are Super Metroid (1994), Metroid Fusion (2002), and Metroid: Zero Mission (2004). He also supervised the production of Retro Studios's Metroid Prime (2002) and Metroid Prime 2: Echoes (2004), although he did not seem to have an in-depth role in the production of these games. He was also editorial supervisor/general editor for the 2002 manga.
In 2014, Sakamoto stated that he does not wish to return to traditional game series anytime soon as he wishes to "challenge himself" to create new experiences and draw new players. Despite this, he was involved with Metroid: Samus Returns.
- Game & Watch Donkey Kong (1982) - Barrel/Crane Artist
- Donkey Kong Jr. (1982) - Artist
- Wrecking Crew (1985) - Designer
- Balloon Fight (1985) - Director
- Gumshoe (1986)- Designer
- Metroid (1986) - Director
- Kid Icarus (1986) - Game Design
- Ginga no Sannin (1986) - Director?; port of The Earth Fighter Rayieza (Enix, MSX)
- Famicom Tantei Club (1988) - Director, Writer
- Balloon Kid (1990) - Director
- X (1992) - Director
- Kaeru no tame ni Kane wa Naru (1992) - Scenario
- Hello Kitty World (1992) - Special Thanks
- Super Metroid (1994) - Director
- Teleroboxer (1995) - Director
- Galactic Pinball (1995) - Special Thanks
- Game & Watch Gallery (1997) - Adviser
- Famicom Tantei Club Part II: Ushiro ni Tatsu Shoujo (1998) - Director, Writer
- Trade & Battle: Card Hero (2000) - Director
- Wario Land 4 (2001) - Supervisor
- Metroid Fusion (2002) - Chief Director
- Metroid Prime (2002)- Special Thanks (Content Advisor)
- Wario World (2003) - Advisor
- WarioWare, Inc.: Mega Party Game$! (2003) - Supervisor
- WarioWare: Touched! (2004) - Producer
- Metroid: Zero Mission (2004) - Chief Director
- Metroid Prime 2: Echoes (2004)- Special Thanks (Content Advisor)
- Metroid Prime Pinball (2005) - Special Thanks
- WarioWare: Smooth Moves (2006) - Producer
- Rhythm Heaven (2006) - Producer
- Kousoku Card Battle: Card Hero (2007)
- Picross DS (2007) - Localization and Testing Supervisor
- Metroid Prime 3: Corruption (2007) - Special Thanks (Content Advisor)
- WarioWare D.I.Y. (2008)
- Metroid microgame - Designed downloadable content.
- Q&A: Metroid Creator’s Early 8-Bit Days at Nintendo. WIRED. Retrieved on April 10, 2010.
- Developer Profile: Yoshio Sakamoto. Metroid Database. Retrieved on December 31, 2009.
- Yoshio Sakamoto. N-Sider.com. Retrieved on October 24, 2005.
- Exclusive: Metroid designer Yoshio Sakamoto speaks!. Computer And Video Games (September 1, 2003).
- Rap Sheet — Person : Yoshio Sakamoto. MobyGames. Retrieved on October 24, 2005.